Bach's Suite V for Cello

The bulk of the musical talk
dave
bugler
bugler

Bach's Suite V for Cello

Post by dave »

What key is Bach's Fifth Cello Suite in? I've not seen a key signature written like this. Playing from Schirmer's six suites, vol 1565.

The key signature written is Eb with an added natural on the upper staff A.
So if that equates to Bb, why would it be written this way?

Dave
Dave Hayami
bugler
bugler

Bach Cello Suite #5

Post by Dave Hayami »

If you read the preface at the beginng of the collection, the "re-tuning" of the stings is explained. All notes above the written A are now a whole step lower than written.(also check the indicated string tuning at the very beginning of Suite 5, C-G-D-G )
Dave Hayami
finnbogi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by finnbogi »

Dave is quite right. Therefore, if you are going to play the suite on the tuba (which is a lot of fun) you'll have to choose between the original version and transpose all notes above A or get a concert pitch version (e.g. Werner Icking's which is freely available online - at mutopia.org, I think).
As for the key, the suite is in C minor. This explains the A and B naturals.
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

If you read the preface at the beginng of the collection, the "re-tuning" of the stings is explained. All notes above the written A are now a whole step lower than written
Not being a string player, I suppose I can be forgiven, but the preface just says "every note appearing above that G should be played on this lowered A-string". I would assume that a string player who used a
lowered A-string would learn to transpose, much the same way a tubist
plays BBb, CC or F tuba from the same score. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on the poor string players, though; I had a hard time playing the Cello chords without humming.

finnbogi, thanks for the pointer to mutopia.org, but the site appears to be undergoing reconstruction. Do you have any other leads?

-Dave
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Doug Yeo's Website has invaluable information on the Bach Cello suites, including downloadable arrangements of many movements. The Sarabande is a staple of bass trombone auditions. Check out http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/fa ... uites.html
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
dave
bugler
bugler

Post by dave »

Marty,

thanks for the pointer. Doug Yeo's site has lots about the Bach Cello Suites, it was an interesting visit. He also had the following link

http://www.wimmercello.com/bachms.html

which has the complete Suites manuscripts available for download.