Audtion dress?

The bulk of the musical talk
corbasse
3 valves
3 valves

Post by corbasse »

Depends on where you are. I believe that since this is a job interview, you should dress appropriately.
What appropriately is, entirely depends on where you live. In some regions you are expected to wear a suit and tie, or a long skirt or dress for the ladies. Around here (Holland/Belgium) the dress code is less strict and simply a nice shirt will do.
Most people I saw on auditions had no problem showing up in jeans and a t-shirt. I have however regulary heard or read negative comments about the poor sense of dress of these participants by players who sat on audition commitees. I personally don't like to leave a bad impression simply for having the wrong outfit.... (Nor for bad playing, but that has happened, alas :oops: )[/u]
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

schlepporello wrote:You'll never see me wearing a dress to an audition, much less one made of screen.
All of the audition committees in the world have called and asked me to relay this message:
WHEW!!!!
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I think I saw everything down to jeans & maybe a T-shirt at the Marine Band audition this spring.

The focus was certainly on comfort, and well, people wouldn't have been able to dress as nicely as even a Marine service uniform anyway... ;)
Hiram
bugler
bugler

Post by Hiram »

Learn how to play comfortably in a suit, or a tux. I think sometimes when we go on stage we have to wear a suit or a tux or a super duper military uniform. I also think that marching uniforms would be a common one that we have to perform in. You know what would be cool, if you could perform really well wearing a siberian tundra capable winter coat and fireproof pants. My point is that first impressions are everything, and if you play like its your job, and look like its your job, that most certainly leaves an impression. Being comfortable in a suit or even a tux is mandatory for our industry. Wear a suit.

Hiram
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I am of the opinion that for any professional interview (auditions included) a suit and tie for men is a good policy. How you dress will never win a position, but it can lose a position before you have a chance to say or play anything.

However, a TubeNet thong will make an immediate and lasting impression. :shock:

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Audtion dress?

Post by WoodSheddin »

rcane wrote:What is the usual dress for auditions? Frist round is screened. I would assume dress shirt and tie etc.

Thanks
You can rarely go wrong with a sport jacket and the other clothing to support it.

That being said, dress like you would for any job interview. Minimum of a button down shirt with a collar. No tennis shoes. No blue jeans.

If the job is for a military band then a fresh haircut couldn't hurt either.

If you are certain that the first round is screened then feel free to loose the jacket and the tie for that round if you are wearing them.

You only get 1 chance in life to make the first impression. Make it one your mother would be proud of.
sean chisham
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Suit.

They can never say you're under-dressed that way...
Randy Beschorner
bugler
bugler

That's What I'd Tell 'Em

Post by Randy Beschorner »

Go in for an audition wearing a rageddy old shirt and baggy britches (the kind that two people can fit in) and make sure you've got them pulled down a tad too far. The top it off with a baseball cap worn cock-eyed.
If I were going for an audition, that's the advice I'd give my competition.
Randy Beschorner

"Sin boldy and trust in God"
-Martin Luther