Mouthpiece consistency

The bulk of the musical talk
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece consistency

Post by anonymous4 »

I know this is an inane question even as I type this, but have any of you out there experienced differences among different mouthpieces of the same type? For instance, one PT-88 playing differently than another PT-88.

I haven't, but I recently heard a big name pro claim that he would individually test out different mouthpieces of the same type and "pick out the good ones." To which I thought: "Huh?"
TubaCoopa
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece consistency

Post by TubaCoopa »

If you believe that mouthpiece resonation plays a part in sound production, then theoretically, identical mouthpieces would differ due to imperfections in the metal. However, based on my experience (Ha-ha) mouthpieces do not differ, as the sousas I march with interchange mouthpieces all the time, and there is no sound difference.
bttmbow
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bttmbow »

I don't think it was ME that you RECENTLY heard saying that, but I believe that mouthpieces are somewhat inconsistant, the same way it is with horns (sorry, manufacturers!). That being said, some mouthpieces/horns(of the same design...) "shake hands" better with some than others; everybody's different!

That's all for now,
C
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I think that this was without a doubt true when tooling and materials varied quite a bit from lot to lot.

Is it still true? Depends on the processes and materials a manufacture uses.

Does it make a difference? If it makes your playing more confident, then SURE (even if the difference is only in your head!)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

TubaCoopa wrote:If you believe that mouthpiece resonation plays a part in sound production, then theoretically, identical mouthpieces would differ due to imperfections in the metal. However, based on my experience (Ha-ha) mouthpieces do not differ, as the sousas I march with interchange mouthpieces all the time, and there is no sound difference.
Ah, but the question is not whether or not there is a difference. The question is whether or not there is an audible difference. And so, with the minute variations from mouthpiece to mouthpiece on something as large as a souzy, probably not.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
TubaCoopa
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaCoopa »

iiipopes wrote:
TubaCoopa wrote:If you believe that mouthpiece resonation plays a part in sound production, then theoretically, identical mouthpieces would differ due to imperfections in the metal. However, based on my experience (Ha-ha) mouthpieces do not differ, as the sousas I march with interchange mouthpieces all the time, and there is no sound difference.
Ah, but the question is not whether or not there is a difference. The question is whether or not there is an audible difference. And so, with the minute variations from mouthpiece to mouthpiece on something as large as a souzy, probably not.
A very good point, indeed.
Nick Pierce
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Nick Pierce »

I've heard the same thing, that a very, very, very prominent player went through a number of the same mouthpiece and picked out "the good ones," all of them very good to begin with. And I heard it straight from the horses mouth, not second hand, so I think there has to be something to it.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

The same mouthpieces can differ slightly simply due to manufacturing tolerances. I would think the biggest fluctuation would be the taper on the shank and the diameter of the shank. Either can cause the mouthpiece to engage the receiver differently. There have been loads of discussions regarding 'the gap'. Rather to start a lengthy discussion about something that has been covered many times before.... the simple answer to the question "can there be variations in two of the same make mouthpieces?" is a resounding "YES".
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

TubaTinker wrote:Rather to start a lengthy discussion about something that has been covered many times before.... the simple answer to the question "can there be variations in two of the same make mouthpieces?" is a resounding "YES".
As Bach continues to demonstrate so well -- just go to any store with more than one of a particular model in stock and, as posted above, you can actually see the differences in cup diameter and rim profile from piece to piece.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.