Willson 2975

The bulk of the musical talk
JTJ
bugler
bugler

Willson 2975

Post by JTJ »

I now play a Yamaha 642s euphonium. But because of a minor disability which leaves my left hand and arm weak, I am having to use too much right wrist to support the horn, which is putting extra stress on that wrist, causing ongoing pain with possible long term damage. One solution is to cradle the horn higher up the instrument with my left hand, but then I can't use the 4th valve.

The 2975, because of its side action valves, should solve my problems. I love the 642s, and hate to spend the money, but may have to. Any comments on the 2975 would be welcome, especially compared to the 2900, which I have played and like.

Thanks,

John
pg
bugler
bugler

Post by pg »

Hi John,

No comment on the 2975 but I've been meaning to ask for a "Stewart Stand" for my birthday. I wonder if that might be another option.

--paul;

p.s. - Hope to meet you someday soon.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Willson 2975

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Willson 2975 Stats

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Willson 2975 photos

Post by imperialbari »

Thumbnails of two Willson 2975 front action 4P compensating euphoniums. This model was the first one to challenge the British euphoniums after the original Blaikley patent ran out around 1972:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yo ... +comp+euph

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yo ... um+4P+comp

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMaste ... III/files/
(Membership is open for all)
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

I had a similar problem in college and started to develop carpal tunnel. My solution was cheap and simple. Had dear old mom sew me a little euph. pillow approx. six by six and three inches thick. Placed the pillow between the bottom bow of my willson and my left thigh. Now the weight of the horn is supported and no more undue tension at the right wrist.

Much less trouble (and cheaper) than a stewart stand. I suggest basic black. And the thing stores nicely in your bell. Good luck.

Jason C. Harris
dave
bugler
bugler

Stewart Stand

Post by dave »

I have a Stewart Stand that I use with my Hirsbrunner euphonium. It helps with posture, breathing and embouchure, since it elevates the horn about 3" above my lap, the leadpipe has the right angle and the horn is fully supported. I will eventually convert it to a more permanent arrangement, since the adhesive-backed velcro does not support the weight without some creeping and sag. I'll make some stainless mounts to solder to the horn directly, and retain the rest of the Stewart stand.

It is super-easy to setup every day, and takes a lot less room than a pillow.

-Dave
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

I have one (actually, it's the Canadian Brass CB30 version). Since I play tuba, I like the 4-front-action valve configuration very much.

From what I understand, Willson's changed their valve supplier and the front-action sets are no longer available. So if there are any 2975's floating around, you may want to fall on one before it gets away.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.