Is this a top valve CC?

The bulk of the musical talk
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Is this a top valve CC?

Post by Wyvern »

I was intrigued by the tuba being used in the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the Last Night of the Proms yesterday. It looked to be more hefty than the normal 3+1 EEb's and had unusual slide layout with upward tubes by the 3rd valve. Also note the apparent nickel silver leadpipe away from the bell.

I wondered if it is a one-off, or prototype 3+1 CC? Anyone here know anything about it?

Going from the broadcast, it provided a nice broad and present tone.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Is this a top valve CC?

Post by imperialbari »

To me the overall dimensions still say Eb, but the views are not sufficiently comprehensive to really tell. However this player may have taken to reality some ideas I have had especially about my New Standard 3+1 BBb comper: changing the 3rd valve to a two full steps' length. The purpose would be to improve the relatively sharp C and B natural right over the pedal. Pulling the slide would have it going way below the bottom bow and hence expose it to damage. But then my real reason for not carrying out the change is not about damage. I simply am too used to use the 3rd valve as an alternative to 1+2 for better tuning on certain partials.

Klaus
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

Another (semi) educated guess would be Willson valves & Besson branches. There's another good shot of the tuba from the Last Night where I think I saw Besson on the bell. 99% sure it's 3+1 Comp Eb...
Mike would know for sure!
MP
Peach
Alex Kidston
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex Kidston »

Hi - the man you want to talk to is Mike Johnson (he often posts) - he has modified many instruments for many players, including Kevin Morgan (who played with the BBCSO in the Last Night of the Proms, pictured in your post). The tuba in question LOOKS like one of Mike's custom instruments...
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I can't say what the tuba in your photo is, but there is a top-action CC tuba here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 26ps%3D42
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

A couple of years ago Dillon Music had a Besson CC comp for sale.

And here is a picture of another one:
http://www.tuba.is.nl/tubas/324%20Besso ... 1-down.jpg" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Besson made a top valve CC for many years (at least it was listed in the literature.) The dimensions were smaller than the BBb. This could be a CC but I don't know.
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

A friend has just directed me to the website of the Cambrian Brass quintet in which Kevin Morgan (the tubist in the BBCSO) plays.

From this picture it looks like an EEb with modified 4 valve looping

Just shows how big a tone these EEb's can make with a first class player behind the mouthpiece - it sounded like a CC! :wink:
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

OK -- I'll bite: what is a Mike Johnson modification?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

iiipopes wrote:OK -- I'll bite: what is a Mike Johnson modification?
Mike will explain better if he checks this thread but the simple answer is that a rotor is used to replace the 4th piston.

Ergonomics are MUCH improved since the 4th lever is situated right over near the bell. A number of guys playing big 3+1 Eb's for long periods find they like Mike's setup better for their backs and breathing etc etc. An added bonus is that the first slide is also accessible from this 'new' position.
Peach
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Peach wrote:Mike will explain better if he checks this thread but the simple answer is that a rotor is used to replace the 4th piston.

Ergonomics are MUCH improved since the 4th lever is situated right over near the bell. A number of guys playing big 3+1 Eb's for long periods find they like Mike's setup better for their backs and breathing etc etc. An added bonus is that the first slide is also accessible from this 'new' position.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Peach wrote:Mike will explain better if he checks this thread but the simple answer is that a rotor is used to replace the 4th piston.

Very interesting! I wonder if Mike has made this modification on Besson 3+1 BBb's? Might actually make them playable by an average size human being without performing contortions to reach the 4th valve.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Mike Johnson wrote:What Peach said :wink: !!
Mike
But have you done BBb's Mike? If so how much does the modification cost? I might try and persuade a local brass band to get one of their two unused Besson 994 done - then someone might be prepared to play it!!!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

the elephant wrote:You mean that you do not find this to be stimulating exercise?
The last time I played one I had back ache after quarter hour and swore NEVER AGAIN. :shock: And at 6ft I am no midget :roll:
tubalooney
bugler
bugler

Post by tubalooney »

This is a photo from Superbrass' facebook page the player is indeed Kevin Morgan as previously mentioned and here is a picture from their page.
I can't see where the rotary valve is located I will try and contact Mike Johnson for all the details
Cheers
Phillip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander 157 f ex Paris Opera 1990
Melton 2250 f 6/4 2010
EEb Besson Sovereign c 1984
Miraphone 188 CC c 1995
Conn 34j BBb 1921
Hirsbrunner HB 21 c 1994
Melton Klemmens Propper F ex Opera de la Monnaie
B&S GR55 BBb 2013
Conn 20k sousaphone 1947
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I didn't recognize the horn but did recognize the guy. There was a link on here a couple of years ago where he was playing an arrangement of Rule Bririania with a singer and he blew it out of the park! I thought it was a modified Eb and boy, did he play the poop out of it. Ed
The Singing Whale