So, who really does use a PT82

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

So, who really does use a PT82

Post by iiipopes »

So, we've all heard and (now for me as well, thanks to Jeff Rideout coming through where I live) played a variety of PT mouthpieces, and I did get a PT34 to go with my Curry 128D for some particular gigs on my 186.

The PT82 was such a good match for the B&S PT605 (In Europe the GR51) BBb, and I'm probably going to get one for certain gigs with a large sousaphone;

So I'm curious -- who else out there uses a PT82, and on what horn for what gigs?
Last edited by iiipopes on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Re: So, who really does use a PT82

Post by MikeS »

I use the PT-82 on my Alexander 163 when it's the only horn I have with me and I encounter a part I'd normally want to play on an Eflat or F. It is also the best contrabass trombone mouthpiece I've ever encountered.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Thanks. Any others?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Thanks. It is a great horn/mouthpiece combination, isn't it!

Anyone else?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Just one last, "See who's out there," before I let the thread die.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

iiipopes wrote:Just one last, "See who's out there," before I let the thread die.
For poops and giggles, hopefully iiipopes isn't dead yet because I just recently "found" the PT-82 to be the best mouthpiece I've ever used on any horn period. People say that it's only good for 6/4 size horns, bah humbug! It lights a fire under the butt of my 4/4 186 sized horn like no other. I've owned PT-72's, 82, 84 and tried 50 & 88 but the 82 is the perfect match. It plays very easy, so easy in fact you hardly have to work. Sorry to bump an old thread, but was searching.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

groth wrote:
iiipopes wrote:Just one last, "See who's out there," before I let the thread die.
For poops and giggles, hopefully iiipopes isn't dead yet because I just recently "found" the PT-82 to be the best mouthpiece I've ever used on any horn period. People say that it's only good for 6/4 size horns, bah humbug! It lights a fire under the butt of my 4/4 186 sized horn like no other. I've owned PT-72's, 82, 84 and tried 50 & 88 but the 82 is the perfect match. It plays very easy, so easy in fact you hardly have to work. Sorry to bump an old thread, but was searching.
On my 186, I had intonation inconsistencies with teh PT-82. I now use a Blokepiece Imperial with a 32.6mm modified helleberg rim and a spacer trimmed to .080. I let the 82 go some years ago with the large sousaphone when my shoulder couldn't take it anymore. Glad you are having good luck with it.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Bringing a Zombie thread back. I recently purchased an RT-82. It is made the same. It possibly has a little deeper cup than my PT-82 did years ago, but I can tell by blowing that it has the same rim and same throat and backbore. I have had to really work at relaxing back into it after pushing a 120S a little too hard. I have universal positive comments from friends, the band, and next week we will find out how well it does in concert, with both brass quintet and full concert band.

It is good to have this mouthpiece back. for me, it is a good choice with my Jupiter JTU1110 BBb (purchased after Pat Sheridan tweaked the design). It does everything in Mr. T's description.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

PT / RT-82

Post by Robert Tucci »

Many thanks for the "flowers". The PT / in the USA RT-82 is based on the traditional concept of German mouthpieces and their well-rounded cups. From our older literature: "It provides a unique balance of tonal richness and ease of response, for musicians who prefer the comfortable blowing qualities of a medium-size mouthpiece.   The moderate cup volume provides secure and response in not only the middle, but also in the low and high register. The cup design is such to provide a round tone without becoming bright or limiting dynamic range."

The older German mouthpieces had overly wide rims, too rounded on the inner edge and rather small throat bores. The PT / RT-82 was based on their virtues, not their shortcomings. With more and more large tubas coming into use their popularity has become quite significant.

RT mouthpieces are available from our dealers as posted at www.robert-tucci.com.

Bob Tucci