Band revisions- marches (arr. Frederick Fennell)...

The bulk of the musical talk
jon112780
4 valves
4 valves

Band revisions- marches (arr. Frederick Fennell)...

Post by jon112780 »

Does anybody have a copy of the typical half page old (normal) style of 'Rolling Thunder'- Fillmore? I would be interested in what differences, if any are in the tuba part between the 'old' version and the 'new' one Fennell arranged.

I am aware of his excellent legacy, and own many CD's of him conducting. However, I was in a college group he guest conducted a few years before his death, and he had a tendency to make (in some cases) drastic changes in dynamics, tempo and sometimes octave changes during rehearsal.

Admittedly, towards the end of their lives everyone may not be at the top of their game, and this is to be expected. However, I don't want to think (my view of) one rehearsal towards the end of his distinguished career would be a clear overall reflection; but that one rehearsal does make me skeptical concerning an arrangement of an already-fine-march in my (one) hour long experience with him on the podium.

Anybody have the original (old part) I can have a peek at? :wink:
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Band revisions- marches (arr. Frederick Fennell)...

Post by tbn.al »

After my first encounter with Frantic Freddy in 1965 I was sure the man was crazy. A couple of years later I was under his baton again and had matured a bit. This time I was merely amused at his anctics and delighted with the music we made. Yes, he always did unusual things with scores, mostly marches. His interpretation of Lincolnshire Posy is a true pinacle of the conducting art IMHO. In resotrospect, I really can't think of anything he did to change a march that didn't work. But again I never was a purist. I think he was always like that.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Band revisions- marches (arr. Frederick Fennell)...

Post by Uncle Buck »

tbn.al wrote:But again I never was a purist.
Is there such a thing as a purist for marches?

I love marches, and think they are a wonderful genre. Their nature, though, lends them to be "fiddled with" by conductors more than other genres - and that's a good thing. It makes playing and listening to them more fun.

Sorry this post didn't provide any insight for the original question. I do think FF would agree with me, though.