Satin Silver Finish

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Search the archives; I think it was Lee Stofer who had a method using whiting (powdered chalk). If it's a light tarnish, try some Windex.

The problem with most pastes and creams is that the black tarnish stays behind in the low parts of the finish.
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

I've always used a mixture of baking soda with denatured alcohol (mix to a paste like substance) and just rubbed it on, then wiped it off. As far as prevention, beats me.

D. AsKew
davet
bugler
bugler

Post by davet »

Prevention: Buy a big piece silvercloth at your local fabric store. Have your wife stitch up the sides of it to form a bag. (I know- guys SHOULD be able to sew too) Store the instrument in this bag. It won't prevent all tarnish, but sure seems to slow down its formation.
Steve Inman
4 valves
4 valves

Satin Silver

Post by Steve Inman »

Previous advice when I recently asked the question has caused me to consider:

Haggarty's (sp?) spray polish was highly regarded. I tried it and needed to use quite a lot at first. This led me to buy the haggerty's liquid polish. This, combined with some rubbing does very well.

The missing part, according to Lee Stofer, was to then rub on some liquid detergent, lather well, and rinse off. This last step is needed because the polishing step "un-binds" the sulfer ions from the silver, but doesn't remove all of them from the surface of the horn. So after polishing, you need to soap/rinse to remove the black tarnish that will otherwise come off on your clothes and hands.

After that step, Windex was advised for occasional touch-up -- wipe off with a clean towel or a "soft" paper towel.

I'm thinking of buying a large anti-tarnish bag to store my horn in. These are treated with some sort of chemical to "intercept" the sulfer oxides that are floating in the air, before they can "bind" to the silver plate. After buying $25 in polishing supplies, I would gladly pay for one of the bags. I think I saw them at Brasswind.

Good luck,
Steve Inman
Yamaha YEB-381 Eb
Conn 56J CC
Willson-Marzan CC Solo Model
Kokomo Chamber Brass
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MileMarkerZero »

You know the polish cloths that come with nice silverware? There's a "polish" side and a "buff" side to the cloth. You can buy the "polish" side cloth seperately in a roll. One 4"w x 6"l strip will last a couple of months. It'll be black as coal, but will still do the job of loosening the tarnish. Then just follow up with windex.
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.