Fingerings for Eb, D, and Db

The bulk of the musical talk
GrandTubaK
lurker
lurker

Post by GrandTubaK »

Try these:

Eb - 15
D - 125 or 13 (with first valve slide out about three or four inches)
Db - 235
Gb - 235

There are also a few more combinations. Play around with your horn and see what works best for you. Hope this helps.
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Allen »

On my five-valve CC tuba, the fifth valve is tuned to a long whole step, which seems to be the most popular tuning.

Mainly, you are going to understand how tuba valves and pitches are related, and figure out your own tuning compromises. I can tell you the fingerings that work for me:

Db/C# (second space below): 235
then, going down
Gb/F#: 235
F: 45
E: 234
Eb/D#: 345 (or use 1245 if the first fingering is too flat)
D: 1345
Db/C#: 12345 and a big pull of first valve slide

I personally have to fight my tendency to play sharp in the basement register, and use somewhat flatter fingerings than a better player might use. You are going to have to experiment with the settings of your valve slides, particularly the fourth and fifth. Adjust the fourth to give you an in-tune D and G below the staff. Then, adjust the fifth so the three common notes that require it are in tune (Db, Gb, F). For all those lower notes, the pitch is pretty much what your chops make it. The main reason to get the tuba more in resonance with the pitches you are sounding is so it sounds better. Practice with a tuner, and do some slide moving if necessary -- you aren't going to be playing very fast down there. Myself, I only move my first valve slide while playing.

By the way, I sometimes use "false tones" down low, but that's a whole other topic.

Allen Walker