recorded large ensemble tuba sound ideal

The bulk of the musical talk
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

recorded large ensemble tuba sound ideal

Post by tubacdk »

I'm curious to see what recording or recordings inspire you to try and match the tubist's recorded sound. I'm mainly thinking about classical orchestral stuff, but soundtracks or pop recordings could certainly apply. I'm hoping that we can stay away from solo and chamber recordings, cuz that's a completely different thing. Let's stick large ensemble. So what recordings do you like best for their tuba sound? The ones that come to mind for me are these:

Mahler Sym.5, NYPO/Mehta (Deck on the frankentuba)
Prokofiev Sym.5, St. Louis/Slatkin (Pokorny on HB-2)
Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, LAPO/Salonen (Pearson on HB-6)

post away!
Chuck
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Norm Pearson- F Tuba on the Reveultas CD. THE F tuba sound in America. I am very sorry to say that I haven't heard anything else YET from him and the LPO.

Who ever recorded Bruckner 9 with Bernstein and the VPO. Astounding!!!

Joe Novotny/King-Mahler 6 with NYPO/Berstein. I wish I could play the tuba with that much precision and passion!!!

Off handed- Any thing Basso Nicolai Ghuirov ever sung, particulary his Faust and Boris Godounov w/ Karajan and the Vienna Opera. NOW that is line at it's best, talk about resonance and passion and music making, we should all strive to play like that cat sings!!!!

Dave Gannet playing trad, the guy swings harder than anyone on the planet. Sam Pilafian playing in Empire Brass Quintet, need I say more. Bob Short playing 2 beat with the Castle Jazz Band, and you thought Freddy Green had perfect time, youch, you could set an Atomic clock to this guy. Can't forget Steve Sykes or all those cats in the Championship Bands in England. That's a foundation for you!!!

Oh yeah, whatever horns they play on is fine with me, they all rock!!!!

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

IMHO, the best Contrabass qwork I have ever heard is Mr. Deck on that Wagner Excerpt disc with Mehta conducting.

He was playing the frankendeck and putting out more sound than could be imagined. Especially on the "Ride". That is as close to a tuba sound having actual mass as I have ever heard recorded.

I still like to hear stuff live. I have heard quite a few big names in person on some pretty heavy stuff. Every time I heard someone live I have been inspired.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubacdk »

Matthew Gilchrest wrote: I still like to hear stuff live. I have heard quite a few big names in person on some pretty heavy stuff. Every time I heard someone live I have been inspired.
I didn't want to discount the value of live listening at all... that by far surpasses the value of listening to a recording. but I'm sure that we all spend more hours listening to CDs than we do live listening, thus the question.

ditto on the Wagner/Mehta recording. that's just amazing.

-ck
Gravid
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Gravid »

A. Jacobs, Bartok: Concerto for Orch/F. Reiner
W. Deck and C. Schmitz, Gabrielli/Monteverdi/Etc. (w/Canadian Brass)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

AJ and the CSO, complete Bruckner cycle, Barenboim conducting. #'s 4 and 7 rereleased on CD set.
Ditto on what was said earlier for the Deck / Wagner recording.
St. Louis playing Pictures, originally released by Moss Music Group.
These are the recordings I play for students to hear the ultimate low brass sounds.
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Matthew Gaunt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matthew Gaunt »

i would add the earlier empire gabirelli cd (telarc - 88 or 89ish)
sam pilafian, gary ofenloch, charles villarubia - great playing and great capturing of tone on CD... :D
Faculty
Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University
Northern Illinois University
Wheaton College
https://www.music.northwestern.edu/facu ... thew-gaunt
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

A. Jacobs - Reiner conduction Alexander Nevsky (the LP version has FAR better sound than the re-engineered CD)

Also, listen to the Reiner recording of Lt. Kiji. Very clear recording with the same sound.
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Don't forget...Ellis!

Post by tubapress »

Conspicuously absent from this thread is the mention of Ellis Wean (currently with the Vancouver Symphony), who played on those phenomenal Montreal Symphony recordings of the '80s.

Just listen to the opening of the recent reissued Tchaikovsky 4th that Montreal recorded and you'll know what I'm talking about. His tone is huge with plenty of fundamental balanced with highs in the sound that makes for an amazing ring! I own just about all of those '80s recordings and he sounds consistently amazing. Recording after recording: Gershwin's American in Paris, Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, Pictures at an Exhibition, Prokofiev 5th...simply fantastic!

I only wish Vancouver recorded more regularly so we could continue to hear what I consider the ideal orchestral tuba sound.
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Don't forget...Ellis!

Post by tubacdk »

tubapress wrote:Conspicuously absent from this thread is the mention of Ellis Wean (currently with the Vancouver Symphony), who played on those phenomenal Montreal Symphony recordings of the '80s.
I concur - his was a name that I should have included in my first list. The recordings I have of his that I like the most are the Berlioz Overtures album and the Franck Sym. Dmin, with MSO/Dutoit, obviously.

I haven't had the privilege of hearing the Prok 5 recording, but i'll definitely pick it up.

-ck
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Don't forget...Ellis!

Post by tubapress »

tubacdk wrote:The recordings I have of his that I like the most are the Berlioz Overtures album and the Franck Sym. Dmin, with MSO/Dutoit, obviously.

I haven't had the privilege of hearing the Prok 5 recording, but i'll definitely pick it up.

-ck
Actually, I think those two recordings were made after Ellis left Montreal. Dennis Miller sounds wonderful on those recordings too! I believe Ellis's last year was 1989, if I'm not mistaken. The Tchaikovsky 5th was one his last recordings with the orchestra.

I forgot to mention the Symphonie Fantastique and Rite of Spring recordings. The Berlioz is some of the finest tuba playing you'll ever hear. The Rite is a great example of amazing precision in an orchestra and there's plenty of tuba to go around. Also features Joe Alessi as Principal Trombone just before he won the NY Phil job (he was principal in Montreal for a year or two).
Gary Press
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

Doc wrote:I agree, Gary, that those MSO recordings are great. I particularly like Russian Easter Overture and Night on Bald Mountain. How about the Planets? Before or after Wean? It's good also. Bass bone is great on that one, too.

Doc
A number of years back, I traded a few emails with Ellis. I seem to remember him telling me that he actually played euphonium on the Planets. I do not recall who played tuba or if Ellis played tuba on the non-euph movements. Perhaps I'll email him about that. In any event that Planets is astounding. Again, amazing virtuosity from the entire orchestra. Pierre Beaudry sounds great on the bass trombone, I agree. The Russian Easter & Bald Mountain are couple (or would that be tripled?) with the Pictures. Again...amazing!
Gary Press