KELLYberg mouthpieces?

The bulk of the musical talk
kegmcnabb
3 valves
3 valves

Kellyberg MP

Post by kegmcnabb »

I tried a Kellyberg on my BBb Marzan because the Bach 18 I had always used seemed stuffy, especially in the low end. The Kellyberg really opened up the sound and felt great as well. As the Kellyberg experiment was a success I went ahead and bought a real Conn Helleberg and guess what... :shock:...I prefer the Kellyberg. It sounds a bit "darker," I suppose emphasising the fundamental, with a bit less resonance, but it is very minor and as I said, I actually prefer it. To each his own, I guess. Give it a try! If you use the Tubenet search, you can find a great deal more opinions, but I say just go for it. Besides, don'tcha really want a Punk Pink one :?:

Craig McClelland
Craig@sonicabsurdities.com
www.sonicabsurdities.com
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

BassClef wrote:Well, I didn't get the punk pink one; but I did get the clear one. I figured it might be cool (and valuable) to see what my embouchure does when I play. I'm betting it will probably look pretty funny when I play pedals.

Blaine
Yes, it DOES look funny. One of the guys I work with had a clear one for a while, and I would start laughing whenever I got a good look at what his lips did inside the mouthpiece. I had to change seats so that I could continue with rehearsal.

Oh, and search:
viewtopic.php?t=2381&highlight=kellyberg
viewtopic.php?t=1407&highlight=kellyberg
viewtopic.php?t=41&highlight=kellyberg
viewtopic.php?t=2045&highlight=kellyberg
Ryan_Beucke
3 valves
3 valves

Re:

Post by Ryan_Beucke »

The bumps on you lips may mean that you're allergic to silver. I know at least one tuba player who is allergic to silver, so he just got a gold plater MP and doesn't have a problem. You might want to try that if you don't like the Kelly mouthpiece.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

hi,
I use a crystal blue one on my sousaphone (20K) {the albatross around my neck} :cry: and it works real good. The sound is fine, but what I like the most about it is that coming off the bus on the way to a change of command ceremony the mouthpiece fell out of the horn and onto the pavement and was totally fine (woo hoo).
As far as the skin thing, you also might want to look into the GW mpc's. Surgical steel is ok for most skin types (so I hear) and they look like fun and I've seen so many good things here about them. I'm thinking of getting the Army to buy me a couple :twisted: Right after my Monette 98 comes in (I'm thinking that it might fatten up the sound of the 20K and hell Army's paying for it! Woo Hoo!)
Anyhow, good luck with that skin thing,
Bill Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

They do crack, but you have to beat the snot out of them to make it happen.

They also scratch. The one that I keep in my car has developed a matte finish on the outside edge of the rim. It's no big deal, because it's not on the playing surface at all -- but it's proof that Lexan is not totally indestructible.