gig bag repairs

The bulk of the musical talk
billeuph
bugler
bugler

gig bag repairs

Post by billeuph »

My reunion blues bag is in need of repairs. I've checked with local luggage repair and shoe repair shops, and no one is willing to touch it. Reunion Blues tells me that they don't do this work any more, but they did suggest a couple of sewing shops, in NY and San Fran. Has anyone found a good place for gig bag repairs? I was wondering if Glen Chronkite does repairs on these old bags. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Bill Anderson
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

Bill:

Looks like you're near the coast. Try a local sailmaker. Another idea would be check out a shop that makes or repairs boat covers or bimini tops. They often have the machinery to repair sails and are used to dealing with large and odd sized items and with big zippers.

Alex F.
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

Give Glen Cronkhite in Berkely Ca. a call. 510-527-2290. He used to be one of the owners of RB - something about a divorce or something. Anyways now he makes custom bags and will do repairs on RB bags. He only changes for the labor of his sewing people. I just had him replace the zipper on my leather bag and I thought that his charges were very fair, the work was great and the turn aroung time (seems to me it was about a week but I was out of town part of the time) was more than reasonable. He is a great guy to deal with and when you call you get either a machine or him.
Good Luck, Phil
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

You lose your bet. Repairs and shipping were less than 1/3 the cost of a new bag.
Phil