looking for opinions from an opinionated crowd

The bulk of the musical talk
me
bugler
bugler

looking for opinions from an opinionated crowd

Post by me »

i'm just finishing up buying a G-50 tuba. i know what i think about the horn from the times i've gotten to play one. i just wanted to know what everone else thought about them. i've searched the archives i just wanted to know opinions. also why do you think there are so many for sale all of a sudden?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: looking for opinions from an opinionated crowd

Post by WoodSheddin »

me wrote:why do you think there are so many for sale all of a sudden?
I have not noticed a flood of used G50's hitting the market. Perhaps you are just more aware of the ones which are for sale right now.

As far as the horn goes, they are nice instruments. If you played it and enjoyed the results than I would guess you made a good purchase.
sean chisham
Alex Reeder
bugler
bugler

G50 Opinion

Post by Alex Reeder »

You want opinions, so here goes:

I recently bought a used G50 (but I guess they all must be used now since they are not made new anymore!) last May from Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass. I really love it.

Mine is different from most because the original bell was cut off and replaced with a York Monster EEb bell. I have never played an original G50 but I think many of the characteristics are similar.

I couldn't be happier. The intonation is really great, and it is very easy to play clearly and cleanly. It just feels like I can really do anything I want on this horn. It was designed in part by Chuck Daellenbach of the Canadian Brass, and it has all the characteristics of a great quintet horn- lots of clarity and agility.

At BBC I tried this horn along with several others and I was amazed at how greatly this little horn out-projected horns like the Meinl-Weston 2145 and Conn 5J. I was still nervous that I could not get a big enough sound for an orchestra because the horn is on the small side.

My worries were completely swept away when I went to a summer camp in Saratoga, NY for a month. It's the best of New York State, getting lessons from the Philadelphia Orchestra- not weak players at all. I was playing in a 115+ piece orchestra with almost every wind and brass part doubled (7 trumpets, 5 trombones, 5 bassoons, about 20 cellos, you get the idea), but still only one tuba (go figure!). I was very happy to find that I could hold my own even against this large orchestra. One of the counselors, a big 6'4''-ish guy playing a PT6, played in the camp wind ensemble with me and commented one day after we had just played Shostakovitch's Festive Overture (with me on bottom) that he had no idea how that little horn could get such a big sound.

I really think this tuba rocks! It has all the best of a quintet horn but still can make a big sound when it needs to. I really love it, and I know that some people like Dave Fedderly and Ed Diefes of the Syracuse Symphony have them and like them. My teacher at Eastman, Don Harry, said that my tuba is one of the best tubas he has ever heard! He doesn't say things like that lightly. Bottom line is, if you couldn't tell, I am absolutely thrilled with my G50, and I hope you feel the same with yours!
Last edited by Alex Reeder on Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getzen G50 w/ York Monster EEb bell
Meinl Weston 2182
PT6P
Eastman School of Music Class of 2008
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Mr. Schmitz

Post by MikeMason »

Chester Schmitz plays on one of those quite a bit also...
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: looking for opinions from an opinionated crowd

Post by Rick Denney »

me wrote:i'm just finishing up buying a G-50 tuba. i know what i think about the horn from the times i've gotten to play one. i just wanted to know what everone else thought about them. i've searched the archives i just wanted to know opinions. also why do you think there are so many for sale all of a sudden?
It's one of two tubas that if someone gave me one, I'd learn CC fingerings.

Rick "who'd do the same for a Meinl-Weston 2000" Denney
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Take one guess...

Post by Getzeng50s »

Ill give u oine guess what i think of it.. Hint?: look at my member name :-D
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

If you like it it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks, especially after the purchase. If you are looking for affirmation that you made a good decision, only you can provide that. I wish you many good years playing it, enjoy your horn.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Last edited by Tom on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.