Tuba Scholarships Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Moderator: Uber Moderators

Tuba Scholarships

Postby sailracer90 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi, does anyone know of any good tuba scholarships? I REALLY need some help for college (undergrad). The schools I'm looking at are LSU, UGA, Alabama, and Tennessee. I live in GA, so I mostly need help on the other three. Any suggestions? Thanks
Jacob Samuel McCabe
LSU Undergraduate Tuba Performance Major
GEAUX TIGERS!!
sailracer90
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba Scholarships

Postby tubashaman2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Last edited by tubashaman2 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 1291CC
PT 10S (Made in East Germany, GDR)
YFB 621S
tubashaman2
4 valves
4 valves

Postby sailracer90 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks, Actually, LSU pretty much put me at in-state due to an academic scholarship of a little under $9k making it cheaper than UGA right now... Im just worried about getting into the LSU and UGA music schools. LSU is accepting 3 undergrad tubas, and UGA is accepting 2. UT already gave me their music scholarship and i missed the academic scholarship deadline for both UT and Alabama... All my auditions are done, last one was Alabama today.
Jacob Samuel McCabe
LSU Undergraduate Tuba Performance Major
GEAUX TIGERS!!
sailracer90
bugler
bugler

Postby Chris Smith » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:37 am

A good way to search for scholarships is to go to sites such as http://www.scholarships.com/. There is a lot of money out there you just need to apply. Sometimes scholarships don't even get awarded because no one applies.
Chris Smith
bugler
bugler

Postby wchoc86 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:13 am

fastweb.com has info and links to tons of scholarships, grants, other monies. And they have a quiz/survey that will match you to the scholarships you're eligible for.

Assuming you're attempting to get a performance degree from on of those schools, just go to which ever one would be cheaper. As an undergrad performance major, you're essentially paying all those thousands of dollars to sit in a room for umpteen hours a day, which, really, you can do anywhere.
MW 2145 Silver Plate
wchoc86
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Dan Castillo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:53 am

How are your grades? Since you are in state, if you maintain a "B" average the state of Georgia will pay your tuition. I'm assuming that the HOPE scholarship still exists of course. It was nice...I never had to pay tuition while I was at UGA.
Dan Castillo
bugler
bugler

Postby jvarner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi. I'm really new to this website (I happened upon it when I googled tuba scholarships). It sounds like some of the members may be able to help me out too. My daughter is going to go to college in the fall to major in Music Education, with her principal instrument as tuba. She has been accepted into the four music programs that she auditioned for (U. Delaware, West Chester U. in PA, Penn State University, and Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA), but except for Moravian we haven't heard anything about scholarships from the schools.

Does anyone know anything about these music programs? Thanks for any insights.
jvarner

Postby euphenstien » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Dan Castillo wrote:How are your grades? Since you are in state, if you maintain a "B" average the state of Georgia will pay your tuition. I'm assuming that the HOPE scholarship still exists of course. It was nice...I never had to pay tuition while I was at UGA.

no freaking way. does anyone in Georgia pay for college? a 3 point gpa isn't that difficult to attain. wow

jvarner wrote:Hi. I'm really new to this website (I happened upon it when I googled tuba scholarships). It sounds like some of the members may be able to help me out too. My daughter is going to go to college in the fall to major in Music Education, with her principal instrument as tuba. She has been accepted into the four music programs that she auditioned for (U. Delaware, West Chester U. in PA, Penn State University, and Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA), but except for Moravian we haven't heard anything about scholarships from the schools.

Does anyone know anything about these music programs? Thanks for any insights.

Congrats on the acceptance. I don't know much about the programs in question, but I'm sure some other folks here do. If your curious about scholarships, I would contact somebody at the school for info. Either the band director or her future private instructor. Best of luck.
bloke wrote:- We don't argue over air, water, or wimin, ' cause all three of those seem to be found in nearly unlimited quantities.

- Food is quite another thing, as one must actually locate and purchase food.
euphenstien
bugler
bugler

Postby CWessel188 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:28 pm

I think Scholarships for tuba playing are dependent of the school. For example, I received $1600 from Chris Olka and the tuba studio at UW Seattle, and $5000 from the music dept at Pacific Lutheran University. For both of them I had to go to the campus and audition for their music staff.

I also flew out to Northwestern to audition, but that was for the music dept and I don't beleive they give out music scholarships.
Miraphone 188CC 5V + G&W Caber
CWessel188
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet