Ewazen/Candide

The bulk of the musical talk
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Ewazen/Candide

Post by JCalkin »

Last week I was able to attend the CBDNA West/Northwest conference in Reno, which was fun for a number of reasons, heh, heh.

Eric Ewazen was there, as his works were featured on a concert by the U Nevada Reno band. Great stuff!

Ewazen's presentation was very cool... he did a little talk about some of his pieces, how he composes, etc. At the beginning of the class, he said "I have to play something for you. It's great. I didn't write it or anything, but I really want to play it for you."

It was an arrangement of the overture to Candide by Bernstein, which was arranged for nine horns by Warren Deck. What a fun arrangement!

The CD was called Take 9, and it was an assortment of pieces for horn ensemble featuring the NY Phil horn section. Anyone have his disc? How is the rest of it?
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Ewazen/Candide

Post by BVD Press »

JCalkin wrote:
The CD was called Take 9, and it was an assortment of pieces for horn ensemble featuring the NY Phil horn section. Anyone have his disc? How is the rest of it?
I picked the CD for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It was worth the purchase. Lots of great playing and arrangemnts. I am a huge of Robert Elkjer arrangements and his version fo Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Brahms is really great!

Here is the link for more info on the rest of the CD:

http://www.hornquartet.com/photo_13.html