Miraphone Sousaphone Bits Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Miraphone Sousaphone Bits

Postby tubamaniacRI » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:38 am

Hey Now
I have a Miraphone Sousaphone and my greatest fear has been realized. I have lost one of the tuning bits.

I would ultimately would like to alter the horn so it would fit a conn neck piece and bits. is that a good idea or blasphemy?

Would anyone know where in the US these Mirafone size bits would be obtainable? I am in Rhode Island.

Thanks tuba peoples
tubamaniacRI
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone Sousaphone Bits

Postby bloke » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 am

tubamaniacRI wrote:Hey Now
I have a Miraphone Sousaphone and my greatest fear has been realized. I have lost one of the tuning bits.

I would ultimately would like to alter the horn so it would fit a conn neck piece and bits. is that a good idea or blasphemy?

Would anyone know where in the US these Mirafone size bits would be obtainable? I am in Rhode Island.

Thanks tuba peoples

Someone may have a good answer for you right off the bat.

I have only used a Mirafone sousaphone *one* time - owned by (guess who?) Tennessee Tech University. I had a very strange gig playing it: They hired me (an old guy in my early 40's at the time) to play in their basketball pep band against the U of Memphis *in* Memphis. For some reason, none of the TTU tuba players were available. I actually had to leave a Boy Scout camping event in Arkansas with my son and drive back to Memphis to do that...the early days of me owning a cell phone...weird call...

The point of the unimportant info above is that - even though I've worked on MANY sousaphones - the Mirafone configuration isn't in my mind's eye. If you'll post a couple of pictures here of the lower mouthpipe with the gooseneck and bit[/] inserted, some of us should be able to guess whether the bore and curvature of a Conn gooseneck is easily-compatable with the Mirafone.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tubamaniacRI » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Here are pictures.

I have a Conn here as well as misc parts. The problem is that the Miraphone pieces are smaller by just about the width of the metal. So they do not fit. The Conn is just a RCH larger than the Miraphone.

the bits are so small that a regular Bach mouthpiece only goes 3/4 of the way in.

Thanks
Greg
Attachments
mriaphone-bit.jpg
the missing link
mriaphone-bit.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
mirasousa11.jpg
miraphone with neck and 2 bits
mirasousa11.jpg (220.74 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
tubamaniacRI
bugler
bugler

Postby tubashaman2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 am

Last edited by tubashaman2 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 1291CC
PT 10S (Made in East Germany, GDR)
YFB 621S
tubashaman2
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:13 am

That picture of a "stray" bit looks like a King bit...??

Have you tried a pair of King bits in the Miraphone gooseneck's receiver?

The thing with a proper pair of King bits is this:

One of them is larger than the other. The larger one fits in the gooseneck receiver and the smaller one accepts the mouthpiece.

If you alter anything at all for any reason, I would recommend only POSSIBLY (??) considering altering/swapping out the receiver part of the gooseneck.
bloke

Postby tubamaniacRI » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks

The bits are different sizes that fit gooseneck and mouthpiece. it is the mouthpiece one that is missing.

They are smaller diameter by about on millimeter than regular US size bits.
tubamaniacRI
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 am

tubamaniacRI wrote:Thanks

The bits are different sizes that fit gooseneck and mouthpiece. it is the mouthpiece one that is missing.

They are smaller diameter by about on millimeter than regular US size bits.

The first/easiest thing to try to do would be to see if Marcus Theinert (or someone at Miraphone) would sell you a bit (or pair of bits).

Miraphone e.G.
Traunreuter Str. 8
D-84478 Waldkraiburg, Germany
Tel. +49-8638-9-68-20
Fax +49-8638-8-28-63
http://www.miraphone.de
President: Markus Theinert
Technical Director: Josef Lindlmair

The second-easiest thing to do would be to replace *only* the receiver part of the upper mouthpipe with a Conn 20K receiver part, and purchase a pair of Conn 20K (slightly curved) or Olds/Reynolds (more curved) bits.

People like TubaTinker, Dan Schultz (TubeNet sponsor), Lee Stofer (TubeNet sponsor), or even I can alter your upper mouthpipe (gooseneck) and supply American bits. If you want everything to be silver and for the gooseneck to have a factory appearance (re-silver plated) with a new American receiver, that would usually dictate a bit of a delay.
bloke

Postby Dean E » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:34 pm

tubamaniacRI wrote: . . . . The Conn is just a RCH larger than the Miraphone. . . .

ROTFLAMAO! I haven't seen or used that particular unit of measurement since I was an apprentice machinist, way, way back when.
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:58 pm

yeah...

I guess there *is* a third choice...

- Buy a Conn sousaphone, and wrap this around the Miraphone gooseneck:

bloke

Postby TUbajohn20J » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:51 am

could someone post a pic of a miraphone sousa? i've never seen one.
Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby iiipopes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Here's a picture of an old one with clockwork rotors and what appears to be a standard 186 valve block:
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby tubamaniacRI » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks everyone for your help. the big Sousakontroller in the sky was looking down on me. I found the missing bit in my uniform pants.

Here are a couple more pictures of horn for those interested.
mirasousa6.jpg
mirasousa6.jpg (163.99 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Attachments
coneyisland2.jpg
coneyisland2.jpg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
tubamaniacRI
bugler
bugler

Postby iiipopes » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 am

So, how does a Miraphone souzy play compared to some of the better know souzy cousins?
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby BRSousa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 pm

This is old news BUT Badger State Repair might have Miraphone/Mirafone Sousa parts.

OR

Conn and King bits do fit.

i will have some pictures of an EXCELLENT 3 valve Mirafone Sousa posted very soon for anyone who is interested.
BRSousa
5 valves
5 valves

Postby funkcicle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Bumping this thread because I have the same question and several years have passed since the previous answers... I just bought a 4v Mirafone sousaphone, presumably the same model as above (looks to be from the photos, though mine says "Made in Germany" under the logo rather than West Germany). No tuning bits, just goose neck. Can somebody give me pointers on how to go about figuring out what exactly I need and where to look for it? I've never owned a sousaphone before, and have been slowly been getting back into tuba after 10 years off. Thanks in advance, I can't wait to rock this thing! Here's a photo. These seem to be a rarity?

funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bububassboner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:46 pm

A few years ago while I was still stationed in Germany miraphone brought me out to help modernize their sousaphone model. We finished it and it was an awesome horn. Marcus left miraphone shortly after and the project was mothballed. God that was a killer sousaphone...

The reason for the story is that they still had all the plans for the sousaphone and had even made two of them. So I'm pretty sure you could email miraphone and get brand new bits made for your horn.
Big tubas
Little tubas
Army Strong
Go Ducks!
bububassboner
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet