Disney All-American College Band

The bulk of the musical talk
goldenmoose
bugler
bugler

Disney All-American College Band

Post by goldenmoose »

Hi,
1. What is the difference between the Disney All-American College Bands in Florida and California? I know that they are technically the same program, but each must have their advantages.

2. When you audition, is it preferrable to double? If yes, on which instrument (bass trombone, electric bass)?

3. What is the audition process like? What type of pieces should you play? What can you do to prepare for the audition? What is the sightreading like?

I searched the forums looking for answers, however, I was unsuccessful. Thanks for the help.
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

disney all-american band

Post by tubacdk »

difference between florida job and california job: humidity. :wink:

I think the bands do exactly the same thing, and from what I understand they just do national auditions and try to match the winners' preferences as best they can.

I think their preferred double is some kind of jazz bass. As far as the audition, play something as fun and impressive as possible. When I auditioned for a Disney group (not the all-american band) I played the Carnival movement from Effie and they loved it. Whatever you play, give it lots of character and play it clean. Just make it as fun as possible and show them what you've got. Oh, and if you can read changes and/or improvise, make sure you let them know that, whether or not it's included in your solo. They might/might not ask you... if they don't, try and mention it.

I've played two or three Disney auditions and the sightreading has always been in the commercial vein... usually two or three different styles- latin, funk, rock, swing, that kind of thing. just focus on keeping time above all else. they're gonna be more impressed with you keeping time and getting through as much as possible than getting the rhythms kind of right but your time moving all over the place. steady rhythm is more important for them than nailing the rhythms on first reading. of course, getting both is ideal....

Good luck,
Chuck Koontz
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

o ya....

Post by tubacdk »

another thing, be prepared for them to ask you to play standing up and doing a simple marching maneuver of some kind or another. in my most recent one, they had me play a Bb scale up & down while sidestepping to the left then back to my starting place. that threw a lot of people off, I think... so be prepared. and no matter what they throw at you, don't act surprised or uncomfortable.

okay, that's all I can think of at the moment.

-ck
tubaskiv
lurker
lurker

Is Orlando running again

Post by tubaskiv »

I know that a couple of years ago, Disney canned the Orlando band and only had the CA band left. Is the Florida band up and running again?
Playing in the 2000 Band in Anaheim was one of the greatest summers in my life. So much opportunity and sun taken in for such a short time.

When I auditioned, they basically wanted to have about three different styles of playing. Walked in and played Blue Bossa and a swing tune (maybe "A Train") straight out of the real book, playing the head the first time through then the bass line the second. Then, it was pretty much a run of sightreading of tunes right out of their book. I fast blues, a killer funk line, and some more burners. I was pretty cross-eyed after that.
The fact I could play bass pretty much sealed the deal. Pretty much the same deal on that, couple different styles and sightreading.

Although doubling is something not seen as much as the past, playing bass in that band made the summer a billion times more gratifying. In the College Band, we play several sets throughout the day and one of those sets involves the big band setting. Now, if you are just the tuba player, there is not much for you to do but sit in the back and twidle your thumbs or, for the proactive types, good practice time. The only problem with that is transporting your horn to and from the rehearal space to where we actually hang between sets can be a pain.

Coming up with a mental block and cannot think straight now, but I can just add this. If you are thinking about playing in this band: Do it!! It is will be one of the most memorable experiences you'll face. If not for the playing and the clinicians twice a week, the opportunity to get dressed up in one of thosse character outfits makes the trip definetely worth it.

Here is my email if you have more ???
tubaskov@hotmail.com
Steve Skov
goldenmoose
bugler
bugler

Post by goldenmoose »

The Orlando band is back for this year only right now. They are using this summer as a trial run to see if they want a summer band back in Orlando. They just held an audition in Orlando and then they are going to choose the members of the band from the L.A. audition tour and the one they just had.
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Former FL Cast Member

Post by SirCharls »

While I didn't play in the FL College Band, I DID play in the College Orchestra (back when they had one!) and I had a successful audition.

First, be able to read. You could come in and play Carnival of Venice, and Meditation from Thais (in the orginal octave!) but if you can't read, you won't do them any good. Also, you have to read different styles. You MIGHT be asked to play something technical, but more than likely you will be asked to play a couple of different passages from some charts. Swing, Latin, maybe some 12 bar blues.

Second, you SHOULD come in and play something flashy, something lyrical, and if possible something that might show off your swing chops. Just something in a swing feel. The musicians selected for this gig are usually great players with versatility!

Third, come in with a positive attitude. Like you WANT to get the gig, like you would love to work for Disney. Being able to play your butt off is great, but if you can do it with a positive attitude, that is exactly what they want.

After my summer in Orlando, I worked as a sub for some of the full time musicians and in other areas of the parks (like Disney Magic Music Days) for 3 years. I loved every bit of it. The college gig is awesome...I can't say enough about the gig, and the time I had there. I still talk to some of the friends I made there.

A couple of nice things about being a college musician (at least the last time they had them in Orlando) is you get a paycheck, plus you get a place to stay, and it ISN'T taken out of your salary. Also, there is transportation to and from the parks each day.

Caution - I lived with guys who played in the College Band, and I can tell you, they work their butts off. It is usually 6 days a week, if I remember correctly. It isn't an easy gig. It is hot, they have to march and dance around, and this is with a sousaphone. On the upside, you get to play with some great musicians and go to the parks for fun once in awhile.

any questions, e-mail me at charoline@juno.com or maybe ask a great guy named Alex Lapins. He might post a reply on here, who knows...

cdo
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Former FL Cast Member

Post by SirCharls »

While I didn't play in the FL College Band, I DID play in the College Orchestra (back when they had one!) and I had a successful audition.

First, be able to read. You could come in and play Carnival of Venice, and Meditation from Thais (in the orginal octave!) but if you can't read, you won't do them any good. Also, you have to read different styles. You MIGHT be asked to play something technical, but more than likely you will be asked to play a couple of different passages from some charts. Swing, Latin, maybe some 12 bar blues.

Second, you SHOULD come in and play something flashy, something lyrical, and if possible something that might show off your swing chops. Just something in a swing feel. The musicians selected for this gig are usually great players with versatility!

Third, come in with a positive attitude. Like you WANT to get the gig, like you would love to work for Disney. Being able to play your butt off is great, but if you can do it with a positive attitude, that is exactly what they want.

After my summer in Orlando, I worked as a sub for some of the full time musicians and in other areas of the parks (like Disney Magic Music Days) for 3 years. I loved every bit of it. The college gig is awesome...I can't say enough about the gig, and the time I had there. I still talk to some of the friends I made there.

A couple of nice things about being a college musician (at least the last time they had them in Orlando) is you get a paycheck, plus you get a place to stay, and it ISN'T taken out of your salary. Also, there is transportation to and from the parks each day.

Caution - I lived with guys who played in the College Band, and I can tell you, they work their butts off. It is usually 6 days a week, if I remember correctly. It isn't an easy gig. It is hot, they have to march and dance around, and this is with a sousaphone. On the upside, you get to play with some great musicians and go to the parks for fun once in awhile.

any questions, e-mail me at charoline@juno.com or maybe ask a great guy named Alex Lapins. He might post a reply on here, who knows...

cdo
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Disney All-American College Band

Post by BVD Press »

goldenmoose wrote: 3. What is the audition process like? What type of pieces should you play? What can you do to prepare for the audition? What is the sightreading like?
I did it in FL 1996. A bunch of a fun and a great learning experience.

Audtition:

I would do something fun, something that is standard and something you like to play.

I did something Raggish, the 2nd-3rd page of the Gregson Concerto and probably a couple of Orchstral Excerpts. Kind of an odd grouping, but it covered a lot of styles and playing possibilities.

Good luck!
james
pro musician
pro musician

Post by james »

[b]The differences between the two bands are these:[/b]
-the LA band gets apartments not run by Disney which aparently tend to be nicer.
-the LA band has a clinic with two different LA studio guys a week.
-I don't know about pay and who gets more
-the LA band get the first picks for the band members meaning better musicians
-other than this stuff, they are virtually the same
[b]Audition stuff to remember:[/b]
-as stated before, sightread your butt off! this is most important!
-play a solo/etude that shows off what you do best with your best sound
i.e. something technical and something lyrical
-put on a smile but don't be a butt kisser
This summer will be my second in a row as I am the TA for the LA band. If you have any other questions, e-mail me at jhicks54@hotmail.com

-james
james
pro musician
pro musician

Post by james »

[b]The differences between the two bands are these:[/b]
-the LA band gets apartments not run by Disney which aparently tend to be nicer.
-the LA band has a clinic with two different LA studio guys a week.
-I don't know about pay and who gets more
-the LA band get the first picks for the band members meaning better musicians
-other than this stuff, they are virtually the same
[b]Audition stuff to remember:[/b]
-as stated before, sightread your butt off! this is most important!
-play a solo/etude that shows off what you do best with your best sound
i.e. something technical and something lyrical
-put on a smile but don't be a butt kisser
This summer will be my second in a row as I am the TA for the LA band. If you have any other questions, e-mail me at jhicks54@hotmail.com

-james
james
pro musician
pro musician

oops

Post by james »

Just to clear up some misunderstandings. Yes. Things have been VERY different since they did away with the Florida band several years ago. The only representatives that came on the audition tour this year were from the LA band. I know they picked the best of that group because they were not even sure they(and still aren't) will have a FL band this year. That's why the audition tour for the FL band will not leave the state of Florida and they will fill holes with the national tour alternates. I was also told by the panel that the FL band will no longer have studio clinicians from LA because of the expense. I was also told the clinicians haven't didn't go to FL for the last couple of years the band existed. I am only speaking of this year and last year as I have been(will be) part of both. I hope I didn't imply this was the case for all the bands in the past. hope this clears up my mistakes.

-james
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

disney

Post by bigboymusic »

I also played in the orchestra in 92. I want to say (with a smile and a big thanks to Jim Christianson) that the orchestra was a great gig. But it was mostly playing, drinking, and eating. The Marching Band guys (and gals) worked their BUTTS OFF! While I was drinking around the world at Epcot (and you FL people know what I mean) they were out in the parking lot sweating like bandits. But they were good! I can't remember his name off hand, but I think one sousa player is in the Army Field band now. It's too ba dthe FL band has become the unwanted step child. Orlando was a wonderful place to stay.
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
goldenmoose
bugler
bugler

Post by goldenmoose »

I have spent many days drinking around the world at Epcot.
One more question. Is there a limit to how many times you can participate in the Disney All-American College Band Program? I have heard an array of different answers to this question (one time only, one time at each location, unlimited times until you graduate) and was wondering if anyone knew the real answer.
james
pro musician
pro musician

eligibilty

Post by james »

i have been told by the directors that players are only eligible for one year as a memebr and one year as a TA. i have met a guy who was brought back as a sub for a last minute emergency(i.e. a guy was injured and sent home a couple sumemrs ago and they brought the almunus who already knew most of the show from last year to finish out the summer)
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: oops

Post by UDELBR »

james wrote: I was also told the clinicians haven't didn't go to FL for the last couple of years the band existed. I am only speaking of this year and last year as I have been(will be) part of both. I hope I didn't imply this was the case for all the bands in the past.

I did this gig many moons ago (a quarter century ago, actually...), and that was also true then: they promised to bring all sorts of Studio Big Shots out to Florida to mentor us on the ins and outs of the Entertainment Industry. Not one of the promised Big Shots made an appearance.
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

college band

Post by tubalex »

oh, jeez. OK, Charlie, call me a good guy, and I'm ready to jump off a cliff, much less post a reply on an old thread I've just read, and which will be seen by no-one.

So... I played the orlando band in 1998, when the suave Charlie Ortega was in the college orchestra. It was hot. really damn hot. We were not a happy lot because they took a few too many people who should never have been in a marching band. Also, the College orchestra was treated much more like artists than we were.

but complaints aside, I've never played with a better jazz group. I did have some really special moments performing with those great players and for crowds of thousands of people (for the parade, anyway).

the money is cool, too. having your own bed in snow white village is nice as well. If you are young, can lay it down on the horn, and are not grossed out by the thought of wearing an outfit featring a gold mickey head, do it. you'll learn a lot, and you might even get some personal growth out of it.

-Alex Lapins, outstanding beginner, 1989.
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: oops

Post by BVD Press »

UncleBeer wrote:
james wrote: I was also told the clinicians haven't didn't go to FL for the last couple of years the band existed. I am only speaking of this year and last year as I have been(will be) part of both. I hope I didn't imply this was the case for all the bands in the past.

Not one of the promised Big Shots made an appearance.
I did it in 96 and had the complete opposite experience. We had Allen Vizutti, Arturo Sandoval, Marcus Printup, the late Joe Williams, Jiggs Whigham, etc. All were there for 2-3 days for rehearsals and then a concert. It was just an incredible expereince all around. Even Snow White Village!
neil
pro musician
pro musician

Post by neil »

Same here, '99 band had Steve Houghton, Barry Green, Ron McCurdy, Shelly Berg, Jeff Kashiwa, Marvin Stamm, and probably a few more I can't remember.

Good times.
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Post by SirCharls »

Alex! What should I have called you? Don't make me come down there...I'll stop this car right now...

I had a couple of shining moments...I am gonna try to paste a picture in here...see if it works. :) If not, go to this page...

http://www.freewebs.com/charlesortega/dgcopic.htm

Anyway, it is Susan Egan (voice of Meg from Hercules) good times...good times...

[/img]http://www.freewebs.com/charlesortega/seame.jpg[/img]