Conn 20J Front Valve Conversion??

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Conn 20J Front Valve Conversion??

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Thanks everybody. Also Steven, if you could I would love to see some pics of that 26J. And I think I've decided to leave THIS 20J alone and play it like it is, because it plays wonderful now and don't want to risk anything. Rick, I don't have any of those problems with my 20J that you seem to have had. The pitch is pretty much dead on, even the low F that you use 1 &3 on. This horn truly does sound like the voice of God, especially in the low register. Every horn is slightly different though. But I do plan on getting another 20J, probably a slightly beat up brass one for cheap...and adding the 20K/22K valve set to it since it would be "easier" as most people are telling me the factory valve set won't work, then adding a 4th valve...and if I like the way it turns out, yes I'm going to get all the dents taken out, have it satin silver plated with bright silver trimmings. That truly is my dream horn and if I could find a factory horn like that I would marry it!! I am still very interested in this project and think it is well worth doing. Thanks for the input everybody
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TUbajohn20J wrote:...... I think I've decided to leave THIS 20J alone and play it like it is....... But I do plan on getting another 20J, probably a slightly beat up brass one for cheap...and adding the 20K/22K valve set to it .......
Here's one with the wrong bell you might pick up for cheap....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Weymann-Tub ... 1|294%3A50
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Thanks, yes that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep my eye on that one. Also, I hate to ruin a good 22K sousa just for the valve section, as these are somewhat rare (well, more rare than the 36K atleast). Does anybody have an old beat up 20K they would sell? or know somebody? thanks-John
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

I can get you the fiberglass part :lol: . (I have the parts you want). I'll keep my eye out for you. BTW when we both get ours done I'd love to get together and honk 'em back to back (maybe a tuba christmas somewhere).
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia-Nu Omicron Chapter
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
TUBAD83
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TUBAD83 »

TUbajohn20J wrote:I think I've decided to leave THIS 20J alone and play it like it is, because it plays wonderful now and don't want to risk anything. Rick, I don't have any of those problems with my 20J that you seem to have had. The pitch is pretty much dead on, even the low F that you use 1 &3 on. This horn truly does sound like the voice of God, especially in the low register.
My 20J does not have those problems either (used it in a concert last weekend). Great sound, no intonation problems, and can play it extremely soft with no problem at all. Truly a joy to play. Very glad to see a great horn is going to remain as Mr. Conn had intended :D
Jerry Johnson
Schiller BBb "Schillbrunner" aka "JFK"
King 1241
Lone Star Symphonic Band
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Yeah Jerry, in my opinion, there is no tuba that could compare to the sound of a 20J. I realized mine is too beautiful and I love it too much to mess with it. That's what the old, beat up, came from a middle school band 20J's are for right! I am eventually going to make that "26J" from one of those. But I'm going to keep this tuba as long as I live just as it is.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TUbajohn20J wrote:....... Does anybody have an old beat up 20K they would sell? or know somebody? thanks-John
Not old and beat-up. But Conn/Selmer still manufactures the 20K/22K valve sections at the Eastlake, Ohio factory. I've never tried it, but they might be willing to part with a valve section (or parts thereof) at a reasonable price. Even if the cluster is damaged... the #2 is the one you need to graft to the others to make a four-valve cluster. In fact, I'll bet they are still making a four-valve cluster.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

TubaTinker wrote:
TUbajohn20J wrote:....... Does anybody have an old beat up 20K they would sell? or know somebody? thanks-John
the #2 is the one you need to graft to the others to make a four-valve cluster. In fact, I'll bet they are still making a four-valve cluster.
Really? Why would they still be making the 4 valve cluster if it isn't in production?? I need to get one of these!!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TUbajohn20J wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:
the #2 is the one you need to graft to the others to make a four-valve cluster. In fact, I'll bet they are still making a four-valve cluster.
Really? Why would they still be making the 4 valve cluster if it isn't in production?? I need to get one of these!!
You mis-read my post. Although Conn/Selmer doesn't catalog a 4V version of the 20K.... the DO still build the 3V sousa. My guess is that they would build a 4V version if Uncle Sam called and said they wanted a couple dozen. Want me to check on it for you? It's only money!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

TUbajohn20J wrote:Yeah Jerry, in my opinion, there is no tuba that could compare to the sound of a 20J. ....
I have a recording bell 20J and a Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb. IMHO the Rudy has a more compelling presence. Both horns have a very ponderous timbre which is exactly what I want in a tuba sound. The 20J isn't quite as focused as is the Rudy, which is not surprising since the Rudy produces the canonical German tuba sound. My trad jazz compadres like both of them equally well - I bought the Conn for the recording bell 'cause I'm lazy. An automotive comparison would be the classic Mercedes 600 sedan vs the vintage 1950's Cadillac De Ville - both exemplars of their respective domains.
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

TubaTinker wrote: Want me to check on it for you? It's only money!
Yes!!! I need to get me a couple 4 valve 20K's while I'm at it
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

newest action with my horn
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

I know this is a an ancient post but would like to know if you actually finished it. Would love to see it!
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

This is the one I "finished" a few years ago. It's in need of a few hours of soldering as it needs more bracing in vital points (Lead-pipe and valve-section) but it plays. Image
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I think it would be interesting & perhaps a easier to slap a Mirafone 186 valve set in there. Roughly the same bore & the short throw of the rotor valves are similar to the short action pistons.
Tubas
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Here's my recent 20J conversion project:
Conv20J-Front.jpg
Detail are here:

http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/20J/20Jconversion.html

“Gross National Product” measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion… It measures everything except that which makes life worthwhile. Robert Kennedy, 1968
Last edited by Art Hovey on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Cool horn! I love 2xj's. Bet it sounds great. :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.