Opinions on TubaMM and F Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Plugo
bugler
bugler

Re: Opinions on TubaMM and F Tubas

Post by Plugo »

if you are not going to pursue a performance career then you should wait on purchasing an F. i just started to play again after ten years. i want to get better to be able to play around town. but i do not have the time to practice two tubas. so i am going to stick with the CC for everything.
tubamlb
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamlb »

It is so interesting so many people have an opinion on a Tuba thay never played or set their eyes on ,The M&M Tubas
The Factory the the M&M come out of also makes the major brands for the market, The M&M instruments are specialy handled to be a great value
Sort of reminds me of the people that said I will never buy a Jap Car, and how wrong they were about that
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Post by zangerzzz »

I played a BBb M&M for 8 months. It has a good sound. Intonation was a screwey when in the treble cleft.
Parts were quickly avalible from the salesman in S.Fl who is a tuba player.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Here is one that might interest you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35444" target="_blank" target="_blank
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

LJV wrote:
tubamlb wrote:It is so interesting so many people have an opinion on a Tuba thay never played or set their eyes on ,The M&M Tubas
The Factory the the M&M come out of also makes the major brands for the market, The M&M instruments are specialy handled to be a great value
Sort of reminds me of the people that said I will never buy a Jap Car, and how wrong they were about that
Jap Car? That's nice.

I think a lot of people HAVE played your horns (or the same horns stamped with a different name). No one is bashing, just suggesting alternatives.

BTW, what are the majors brands to which you refer? I'm sure many would be interested.

Helios? Wurzbach? Vento? Schiller?

It would give a good frame of reference.
I would like to try a M&M tuba - I've never had the chance. Without trying one, I can't recommend them to anyone. I am also curious as to which major brands M&M makes, if you can tell us.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
TUBAD83
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TUBAD83 »

M&M tubas come from 2 sources: their "house" brand tubas are made in China using M&M's specs.
They also sell German made tubas (Gebr.Alexander Mainz is the company that makes them). Check their website for more info:

http://www.tubamm.com/#" target="_blank" target="_blank

Having owned a M&M BBb, I think they are great for beginners and amateurs, especially if you're on a budget. Never had a problem with it. For students, its a solid durable horn that will definitely get you through school and works great in community bands. M&M offers a "try-out" period and a 5 year warranty on their tubas. I would definitely suggest to anyone to try one out and see for yourself.

JJ
Jerry Johnson
Schiller BBb "Schillbrunner" aka "JFK"
King 1241
Lone Star Symphonic Band