Fasolt MW 196

The bulk of the musical talk
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Re: Fasolt MW 196

Post by Lars Trawen »

Steve Marcus wrote:Can anyone post photos of someone holding and playing the 196 and the 200 to put them in perspective?
Sorry Steve,
I don't have the 196 Fasolt pictured in my lap.
But I'm an owner of the 200 since many years.
Unfortunately it's today out of production but replaced by the 195 Fafner and 196 Fasolt but also the 197.
The 200 is a true German Kaiser tuba. 500 mm bell and 21.5 mm bore, 1140 mm tall.
Actually it's very similar to the 25 model, but substantially bigger, a 6/4.

Please see below a picture of myself together with the 200.

Without me but compared to the Rudi Bayreuth model, the 200 to the right.
Last edited by Lars Trawen on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

'at's a big ___ tuba!
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

J.c. Sherman wrote:'at's a big ___ tuba!
Its player isn’t the smallest either. So much for perspective. Still thanks for the photos.

Klaus
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Man's horn!
mark
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I had a Fasolt at the Army Band Conference and quite a number of people played it and enjoyed the ease with which it played. It has a huge sound and plays extremely easily. The low register is very comfortable and not stuffy and for its size it is a very nimble horn. I couldn't get a real feel on the intonation due to the noise level, but nothing seemed out of place pitch-wise.

I think it is a very good instrument but probably not for everyone as I can't see using a horn that size for the quintet. It is probably close in size to the big Rudy. For my friend Richarrd, Bydlo was not really easy on this horn.

Just my observations.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Post by sloan »

After hearing one played at TUSABTEC, Meathead's mother was heard to say "I'll have what he's having".
Kenneth Sloan
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

How does the Fasolt compare in overall size against Fafner? Any comparison photos?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Neptune wrote:How does the Fasolt compare in overall size against Fafner? Any comparison photos?
No photos. But it's bigger. Sitting next to a Yorkbrunner, it had the same fatness, with another five or six inches of height. If you know what that entails in terms of the taper, you'll get that it is a really large instrument. The Fafner is more like a Rudy 5/4, mapping more to a Gronitz PCK-size instrument (near 6/4) than to the real Yorkophones and Holtons.

Roger's assessment mirrors my own. I could not get a sense, in the Elephant Room melee, of the finer points of its tone color, but it seemed to me not excessively woofy, at least with the Sellmansberger Symphony I was using. It was quite playable. With the Rudy 6/4 (which is bigger still), the expectation is that it will sound cavernous--huge and hollow--and it surprises when it doesn't. You begin to think silly thoughts, like "I could actually play this thing." With the Fasolt, the expectation is that it will play well, and it does. You begin to think dangerous thoughts, like "how many house payments can I skip before they take my house away from me."

For a finer judgment than that, I would need to spend some quality time with it, comparing it alongside my Holton, in a quiet room.

And don't let Roger kid you--he probably could have irritated Richard with an accurate rendering of Bydlo on that instrument.

Rick "who would want to assess how well it plays softly" Denney
AFtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by AFtuba »

I was in Geretsried few days ago to work on a new Cimbasso and a new B&S F tuba, as I knew about the interest of some of you about the Fasolt I did some pictures and I tested it.

The Fasolt is not much bigger then the Fafner, has a bigger bell (50cm) with a bigger troath, it has a shorter leadpipe so some of the bows has a different lenght,

the sound seems bigger, to me it's more difficult to control in loud playing than any other of the Fafners and the sound tend to become bright, the soft playing is beautiful,
Is an instrument with a great potential and a lot of power but not very easy to play, I already own a Fafner, and after last week test I decided to buy a new hand made Fafner,

If you have any other question don't esitate to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alessandro Fossi
B&S artist
Tuba Teacher "G.Rossini" Conservatory
Tigerreydelaselva
bugler
bugler

Post by Tigerreydelaselva »

What manufacturer or manufacturers could make me a copy of the melton 200 with a variant (i would like a 22" bell) ? and how much would it cost? becouse the meinl weston company took out of production this wonderfull instrument.

Code: Select all

[code]Tigerreydelaselva
[/i]/color][/color][/size][/b]
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by PlayTheTuba »

J.c. Sherman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:27 pm WoW! Lot's of changes, apparently!

J.c.S. (still waiting for the world to build me a 3+1 FA compensating Eb!)
Sorry for bumping up an old post and changing topics, but if you went to this years Army Workshop, did you get a chance to try the Wessex 3+1 front action Eb prototype?