Wellington March: Composer? - Online parts?

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Wellington March: Composer? - Online parts?

Post by imperialbari »

I liked that link for the Marine Band studio version, because the Flute flourishe that I remember from those many years back are very audible in the 1st and 3rd strains, which are the same.

I am just about sure that the Flute/PIccolo/Eb Clarinet parts were there originally, because it would make no sense to issue marching sets that would leave players in the standard band line-up idling.

Even the formerly big British Household Guard’s bands of 50 or so players marching in 6 columns and 8 rows now are marching 5 abreast in 7 rows. Euphs and basses were 3 each and are now 2 each. Horns are down to 3, and as far as I can see there are no Eb clarinets. For visual reasons (front row) there are 5 trombones, which is kind of overkill considering the cuts mentioned.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I tend to disagree. Sousa was good at creating melodic lines, also in counterpoint.

But this march by Zehle has a much more dense harmonic writing than I ever remember hearing from Sousa.

Zehle even gets away with those two-octaves descending chromatic scales, which easily come out silly, if the background writing doesn’t justify such simplistic trait.

Klaus
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wellington March: Composer?

Post by Alex C »

montre8 wrote:Klaus,

Though sounding very British to my ears, it was written by Zehle Wilhelm

A very good march that was played often in the US by advanced high school bands and colleges in the mid 1950's. For no good reason it seems to be rarely played these days.

Cheers,

Mo
A lot of fine music from the 50's and 60's is not played today. It is as if that good music ceased to be good music.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I think it is still fairly regularly played in UK by military bands. I have played Wellington March multiple occasions