Opinions on YEB-321?

The bulk of the musical talk
UTSAtuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Opinions on YEB-321?

Post by UTSAtuba »

Has anyone been able to compare the 321 with an older B&H Imperial 3+1? It looks like the 321 is *sort of* a copy of the Imperial, but obviously without compensating valves.

Joseph
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ferguson »

I've been working with Kanstul to reissue that plug-in 5th rotor that fits four on top euphoniums like the YEP-321. They just finished the tooling for the key lever. The next project after will be to offer it for this Eb tuba. Stay tuned.

Ferguson
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

UTSAtuba wrote:Has anyone been able to compare the 321 with an older B&H Imperial 3+1? It looks like the 321 is *sort of* a copy of the Imperial, but obviously without compensating valves.

Joseph
Yes. They are nearly identical, and it's obviously intentional. They are even closer when you put the Yamaha receiver on the Boosey - perfect fit.

J.c.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Ferguson wrote:I've been working with Kanstul to reissue that plug-in 5th rotor that fits four on top euphoniums like the YEP-321. They just finished the tooling for the key lever. The next project after will be to offer it for this Eb tuba. Stay tuned.

Ferguson
Ooooo!
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
KerryAbear
lurker
lurker

Post by KerryAbear »

Ferguson wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:55 am I've been working with Kanstul to reissue that plug-in 5th rotor that fits four on top euphoniums like the YEP-321. They just finished the tooling for the key lever. The next project after will be to offer it for this Eb tuba. Stay tuned.

Ferguson
Did this ever happen?
VMI 103 BB♭ Tuba
Yamaha YBL-421G Bass Trombone
Willson unknown Euphonium
YorkNumber3
pro musician
pro musician

Post by YorkNumber3 »

KerryAbear wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:42 am
Ferguson wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:55 am I've been working with Kanstul to reissue that plug-in 5th rotor that fits four on top euphoniums like the YEP-321. They just finished the tooling for the key lever. The next project after will be to offer it for this Eb tuba. Stay tuned.

Ferguson
Did this ever happen?
It did happen for the YEP 321 euphonium, but did not happen for the YEB 321 Eb tuba.
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

UTSAtuba wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:20 am Has anyone been able to compare the 321 with an older B&H Imperial 3+1? It looks like the 321 is *sort of* a copy of the Imperial, but obviously without compensating valves.

Joseph
as I remember, the Yamaha tuba was much lighter than the imperial that I was playing at the time and the metal was much thinner, and on the occasions I played one I didn't enjoy using the 4th valve with my little finger
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I had one years ago and really loved it. On the stage, I could not use it as it pointed INTO our shell and sounded way too loud, and I could not balance myself with the trombones. In the pit, however, since we sat reversed, it worked great. Eventually I sold it.