bass trombone recommendations?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mcordon1
bugler
bugler

Re: bass trombone recommendations?

Post by Mcordon1 »

J.c. Sherman wrote:
The only 10.5 inch Bell King was the 8B and there were many of those which were GREAT horns (if you liked BIG horns!).

J.c.S.
Me likey!
My classical-oriented trombone playing friends all seem to dislike big bells/horns, and they always refer to the sound of a 10.5 incher as a "chainsaw".
I like them because, with the right player, the sound they make seems to blend with the tubas better and make the low brass section sound more like "one big instrument".
~Oregon~
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Anybody know the Aqua Sulis bass trombone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 663wt_1139

Aqua Sulis appears to be the old Roman name for the UK town of Bath, but that doesn’t make me wiser bassbonewise.

Chinese?

Klaus
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

OPINION COMING - If you can swing it, the Yamaha YBL-830 is a great all around trombone. If you can find a used Conn 62H or 71H, I've played some GREAT samples that can be had pretty reasonably. The Bachs are a more symphonic sound. Edwards & Shires offer you bell choices so that you can get exactly the sound you are after, but bring your savings with you. I'd call Stave Ferguson at http://www.hornguys.com" target="_blank. Tell him what you are after and your budget. He'll help you out. He's a good guy and will make sure you get a horn that will suit your needs. Good luck and tell us what you get.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I bought a YBL 622 off the bay a while back; I'm going to have enough trouble holding it up that I didn't even consider a double rotor. I was amazed however at how stuffy the low register was, until I put my plastic Kelly 51D in the receiver. THEN I could make it rumble! I've secured the bass bone position in the concert band that I most recently played oboe in, so I'm going to have to do some woodsheddin' this summer.

Well, in an hour or so I'm off to ITEC...woo hoo! So cool to have it here in town. Really sorry that some vendors are boycotting because of the new AZ law. I have no opinion on the law, but know that we have a SERIOUS problem with border crossers who are not just people who need a job; many of them are people who are doing very bad things to our country, city, and state, and the feds have been just looking the other way while we have no means of dealing with it on a local level. So...the law.

MA