Your Favorite BAT

The bulk of the musical talk
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Your Favorite BAT

Post by TUbajohn20J »

If you've ever played a BAT (big a$% tuba), or own one, you know that there is nothing that can compare. What are your favorite BAT's that you've played?? Feel free to post pictures too. I'm guessing a lot of folks will say the big Holtons and Yorks. I haven't got the chance to play many BAT's but I did get to play a Baer 6/4 recently. My favorite however, is my own Conn 20J Naked Lady from 1953. It requires little air for the amount of sound you get from it. Please post!
Last edited by TUbajohn20J on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Your Favorite BAT

Post by J.c. Sherman »

I'm pretty pleased with my own Alexander 164. Really, the sound is worlds away from the York-style BATs, but that's ultimately why I own her. She's gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go, so far.

That said, I will probably move to the American sound as that is what Cleveland is moving towards, though I think mine will ultimately be of the King Monster style (please God). They are the finest of the fine, for me.

I got to try Dennis Millers former Yorkbrunner, and it was wonderful - played like a 4/4.

J.c.S.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Wow thanks for those pictures. Those are some massive horns and they look like winners to me.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

My favorite BAT is my own, 1994 Yorkbrunner. When I received it new from Custom, it had a huge dent in the bell, but played better than the one they sent me to try for a month before I ordered mine. So United Airlines payed to have Robb Stewart fix it up, and at the same time I had him cut down the third valve slide, which it needed to play in tune for some reason, and do a few other minor customizations. I have many time thought about selling it, but so far just can't bite that bullet.

Second favorite is the Yorkbrunner Custom sent me to try before I bought mine. I spent an entire day one Sunday in 1994 at Tommy Johnson's home with Tommy, testing that Yorkbrunner against his 188, my 185, and the 6/4 Neptune that I believe John Van Houten now has. Tommy and I both liked the Yorkbrunner best, and Tommy also agreed that when I got mine, it was the best 6/4 horn he had ever tried, and was better than the original one Custom sent. But it was this tuba that got me to spend the big money on the Yorkbrunner that I have today.

Third favorite is that Neptune that John Van Houten now plays on. It was a close contest, and I remember really liking that horn as well.

Now I wouldn't consider my 291 Bruckner a BAT, but for my purposes these days, it is really all I need. In some ways I like it better than the Yorkbrunner, as it is easier to play in tune (less slide pulling) and articulates faster. But nothing quite sounds like the Yorkbrunner, no way! It's tough, because my wife would like me to sell it, but I just can't let go.

Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

J.c. Sherman wrote:
That said, I will probably move to the American sound as that is what Cleveland is moving towards, though I think mine will ultimately be of the King Monster style (please God). They are the finest of the fine, for me.

J.c.S.
I'm not familiar with the King Monster style. Could you expound on which models you're referring to and why you prefer them? Pictures would be great as well.

Thx!
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I don't know if the Willson 3100 BBb would be considered a BAT, but I would consider it a small end 6/4 tuba, and definitely my other favorite.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

As is rather obvious from my TubeNet pseudonym the rotary B&S Mel Culbertson Neptune is my favourite BAT! When I first tried one, I just loved its sound, response as well thinking the most beautiful tuba I had ever seen. To me it just makes the sound I want from a BAT and going by the large number of compliments I receive on its tone, a lot of people agree. :D

The standard Neptune is a real joy to play, providing the 6/4 sound with no more effort than a 4/4 CC. But more recently I have replaced my standard Neptune with a custom one-off goldbrass handmade version which seems to play even better still with slightly more immediate response, an even more secure high register (A# on top of staff no longer worries me!) and slightly more open low register, particularly noticeable on the G below the staff.

For other BATs I have tried, I loved the sound of the Rudolf Meinl 5/4, but it really seemed to suck the air and takes a lot more control than the Neptune as have other rotary Kaiser tubas I have played (Fafner and Cerveny 701).

I really enjoyed how the Baer responds (very similar to my handmade Neptune), but it does not have quite the broad BAT tone to my ears (5.5/4!). The 2165 seemed rather unwieldy for me to handle while I liked the sound and response of the PT-7, but just do not personally like piston valves.

Surprisingly the BAT I have enjoyed playing most other than the Neptune, was a friend’s front valve Conn 26J. I liked the short action valves (they could almost win me over to pistons!) and just loved its sound.

I would like to try a Holton 345, Yorkbrunner and Nirschl 6/4 to compare, but as I prefer rotary valves, have no doubt that I have found the right BAT for me in my Neptune!
Last edited by Wyvern on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I have very limited experience... but I had a lot of fun with a Yorkbrunner I tried at BBC a few years ago. Talk about a fat sound!

Is Miraphone still due to come out with a BAT in the next couple of years?
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

tofu wrote:
J.c. Sherman wrote:

J.c.S.
I'm not familiar with the King Monster style. Could you expound on which models you're referring to and why you prefer them? Pictures would be great as well.

Thx!
The King Monsters have been loooonnnngg discontinued. String linkage rotary valve BBb.
tuba9%20045%20(Medium).jpg
Also came (I think more often) with a detachable bell, recording or stovepipe.

J.c.S.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

JC -- I've never seen one of those. Cool!!
tubatom91
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubatom91 »

...It's not yet fully operational :twisted:
but here it is, my BAT project
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia-Nu Omicron Chapter
Holton 345 BBb 4V
Miraphone 188-5U CC
Meinl-Weston 45S F
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

TubaTom91, you stole my idea... I'm saving pieces up as we speak ;-)

J.c.S.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

There are so many variables, but when a BAT - or any tuba - is really put together to where it is mechanically perfect, it is an exceptional instrument.

I've enjoyed performing on a several Conn 2XJ BAT's, a Yorkbrunner, a Holton CC-345, BB-345, a York monster BBb sousaphone, and for many years owned and played a Rudolf Meinl 5/4 (in reality 6/4) CC. However, there is a fine BAT that I haven't seen mentioned here yet - the Martin Mammoth BBb basses. In any of the valve configurations, whether upright- or recording bell, these were (and still are, if you can find one) great tubas. As an aside, Kanstul's 5/4 BBb tuba should actually be classified as a 6/4, as it is based upon the measurements of the Martin Mammoth, and is no small tuba.

This is my first time to try this, but there should be a photo of a restored Martin Mammoth attached.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Way to go Tom!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Lee Stofer wrote:This is my first time to try this, but there should be a photo of a restored Martin Mammoth attached.
Beautiful Lee! Is that an original Martin upright bell, or one of the new replacements?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Wow, Lee, that is amazing! The new Kanstul's are based on a different Martin model, though?

Yes, I forgot about the Martin tubas! One of the other cool ones is the Martin CC that Lenny Jung played with the Navy band. That thing was awesome, at least as he played it! It's a real shame that it's been committed to the TE tuba collection.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

It is my current 1965 Conn 20J. I am getting a new leadpipe and all of the dents removed.

While it is in the shop I have a friend's 1934 Conn 20J.
:tuba:
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Wow. Anyone else see the bell as being waaaay off kilter (compared to bottom bow and last ferrule)? What a shame to do such a magnificent restoration job, then stick it back together crooked. :cry:
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

That Martin is beautiful. I need to get some more BAT's!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
CTAYLOR
bugler
bugler

Post by CTAYLOR »

Mine would have to be a Conn 26J that an older gentleman let me play at Tuba Christmas this past year. Loved those front action short throw pistons. I've played a 20J a few times so it was great playing one with front action valves. I wish they had made more of these things. That thing could really crank out the sound and sound good doing it too.
Here is one for reference
Conn-Man