Willson tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Willson tuba

Post by Donn »

Well, of course you would want to re-solder the braces to relieve whatever stresses.

Seriously - to indulge as I so rarely do in semantic nit-picking, the notion that energy is being transferred to or from the instrument's sheet metal body is responsible for a lot of the confusion. Some instruments work like that - guitar and violin family for example, have a soundboard that really does take energy from string oscillation and convert it to sound. Certain properties of the soundboard are of course critical in this case. Wind instruments operate on different principles and, and the physical properties of their body material don't really matter as much.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

When I was in school I learned that one could make a tuba out of glass, or even out of cheese and it would still sound as good as a brass tuba. Having the know-who to make a great cheesey tuba, that's the real issue.
Which is why it wouldn't surprise me if one day a plastic tuba took over the market.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Actually the earliest tubas were made of cheese, as this was a conveniently available material in Europe back in the day and easily worked. Unfortunately they were all eaten, during the difficult period that led up to the revolutions of 1848.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

But it was the Dutch, for lack of a proper cheese to make their tubas, who started building their tubas from hemp.
This spawned a popular genre of music known as hemp-pa-pah. Alas the manufacture of these tubas was short lived.
Apparently these tubas induced chronic lathargy in players. Combined with hopelessly boring tuba music further plans to produce new tubas went up in smoke.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

My 3100 FA-5 is for sale now! Someone buy it! It's not made of cheese though. The tubas made from cheese usually had a better sound than metal tubas. So since this is a metal tuba I reduced the price for quick sale.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Thank you
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

but a bit moldy

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74601" target="_blank