24 year old trying to get a performance degree!!!!

The bulk of the musical talk
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

man...

Post by tubacdk »

rough spot. sorry to hear you're having a hard time getting things going in the direction you want. from what I've seen, i think that the only way to undo the mess you left at Temple is to do some time at a JC and get some positive transcripts going. you may need to talk to Temple and try to straighten things out as much as you can also. I'd say that in the mean time take lessons with the best teacher you can so you can wow them even more next time you audition.

-ck
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

I didn't sweat it too much. I spent one year in college right out of high school, with one semester as a music major and the next in physics. Because high school left me so unmotivated, I eventually took the opportunity to sleep in every day.

I took three years off and drove pizzas & answered phones.

After that, I decided that I was going to make the music thing work, and a good friend encouraged me to come out to the college where he was studying/teaching/arranging/etc. I eased back into academic life by taking only band the first year, then went full time the 2nd, and I began to do well my 3rd year. After four more years (talk about patient!) and at 28 years old, I got my performance degree.

Why not an education degree? Honestly, I can't say that I can be a good teacher in any given situation. To me, that's what an ed degree says.

Good things about being an older performance student --
Actually having more experience than the kids out of high school;
Knowing why you're there;
Being treated as an adult by the faculty (usually).

Bad things --
Being OLDER than nearly every other student, and the odd social life that results;
Dealing with freshmen who are so happy to be away from Mom & Dad that they act like hooligans;
Feeling like you're getting into the game rather late.

I'll tell you this much -- it's much better now that you know WHY you're going for a degree. I've got a friend who's completely unsure of what to do with her impending master's in psychology, and I don't envy her situation at all.
porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

Post by porkchopsisgood »

Man....

If you only knew.

Dude, I'm living that life RIGHT NOW. And the funny thing is....I'm at TEMPLE! (Saw your name on the tuba room wall just today, as a matter of fact....).

I did the same thing at University of Kentucky. I left school and didn't withdraw from any classes: all zero's. That was back in '91....It took me 11 years to get back to school, but I'm here: with a 3.86 GPA.

When I applied for schools, I didn't hide any facts about me academic past; in fact I braced it. It showed I was ready to confront things the right way. When I applied for the University of New Mexico they wouldn't accept me at first. They suggested that I attend community college to bring up my GPA. (Don't take ANY type of music courses when you do this. All academic. I took 12 hours and ended up with a 4.0 GPA). That's all it took. The only reason I didn't attend UNM was financial. But when I finally straightened that out I ended up here at Temple. Go Owls.

Do yourself a favor: take some classes. Besides the prices being right at a community college, you'll show yourself that your ready to head back to school the right way. You'll be ready to attack every class with the right attitude.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out!

Allen Carter
Temple University
avcarter@temple.edu :)
seanvolution
bugler
bugler

Need not go far...

Post by seanvolution »

Since you already live in Western PA, go take some lessons with Dr. Gary Bird at IUP. He is a very fine teacher and human being. Alan Baer used to study with him.
seanvolution
bugler
bugler

Need not go far...

Post by seanvolution »

Since you already live in Western PA, go take some lessons with Dr. Gary Bird at IUP. He is a very fine teacher and human being. Alan Baer used to study with him.
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

You might want to try checking with the registrar or whatever at Temple about their repeated class policy. Many schools, when you repeat a class, will strike the old grade from your record when you finish the repeat session. I don't think this applies to GPA as a whole, but it will demonstrate the work you are truly capable of when you apply yourself.

College professors are people, too and they understand that sometimes we don't always find ourselves in ideal situations to get straight A's all the time. If you were sub-par early on but show drive and real improvement now, you will be considered for admision.

My undergraduate degree found me enjoying the party scene a bit too much. Fortunately I realized my stupidity early enough to BARELY pull my final GPA above 3.0, so I was able to attend grad school where I have a solid 4.0.

HTH, and best of luck to you.
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
rascaljim
pro musician
pro musician

Post by rascaljim »

Hey man... Don't worry too much about not gettin accepted. If you were looking at a school like roosevelt, there just is not a large studio there. I'd imagine they probably only accepted one or two people. And a school like roosevelt may be looking for specifically grad students or something. You shouldn't let if affect how you feel about your playing. I am awaiting decisions from grad schools. Gotten in a place, got on a waiting list at another. Still waiting on hearing from one. Anyway... there's always going to be people out there that may be a little better than you right now, but if you get in on some lessons and keep up the practicing you will get in somewhere. I would definitely recommend finding a professional in your area and taking regular lessons. You're never too old for those. It also costs a whole lot less than going to school. Even at 50 bucks a lesson that's only 2600 a year. Compared to tuition at a major university or conservatory, that's a bargain! I'd also recommend finding a local community college or something like that and get into the wind ensemble. Also a brass quintet can do a lot for keeping your chops in shape. You can learn a lot from other good musicians in that setting. Hope some of this helps, if you would like to chat more... hit me up on the aim thing.
Jim
RyanSchultz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by RyanSchultz »

Chris,

So much has been written about the issues here--I'll try to give you a little insight (read:summary) of how I see this.

There are two issues here:1) Why get a music performance degree? 2)Auditions

On the first let me say that Music Performance degrees in and of themselves don't get you much in the sense that a MBA or JD or engineering degree would. Degrees in music performance only open the door to more degrees and (if one is exceptionally well qualified) perhaps a college teaching position. Pat Sheridan's masters is a MBA. Warren Deck dropped out of Michigan after his 1st year. I have a performance degree and a performance/pedagogy degree; I'm really fortunate to be working in this business of music but the diplomas had little to do with most of the work that I have.

So let's say you've thought all of this through and still have questions about auditions. Sometimes, no matter how well you play you won't win an audition. I won't name names, but in the last ten years some really phenominal tubists have not won a particular orchestral audition. Sometimes you're selling chocolate and the committee wants vanilla.

There has been a lot written about audition preparation and if I were you I'd check it out--any good tuba teacher can help you with that.

Just a few thoughts. . .