W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Moderator: Uber Moderators

W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers

Postby Alex F » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Who actually sells the W. Nirschl J-700 (Weril/Gemstone/Gemeinhardt) 4/4 tuba? I've looked on the W. Nirschl brass web-site but it is incomplete and has no actual dealer listing or contact information posted. Looks like I just missed a chance to see one of these at DePaul in Chicago a few weeks ago when Mr. Cooley's studio had a play0test of the various models. Was anyone there that has a comment?
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Re: W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers

Postby TubaTinker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 pm

http://www.gemstonemusical.com/

BTW... I had an opportunity to play the NEW Nirschle tuba two weeks ago. This one was a very good horn and a 'killer' horn for the bucks the proud new owner paid for it.

http://www.wnirschl.com/catalogpage.asp?mode=PRODUCT&productid=118
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
http://thevillagetinker.com
danschultz@wowway.com
Current 'stable'... Marzan slant-rotor BBb, Marzan piston BBb, Miraphone 1291 5V, Conn 48K sousa
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Bob Kolada » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Dan, how did it compare to your 1291 clone?
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TexTuba » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:38 pm

TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Postby cjk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:58 pm

TexTuba wrote:The tuba I'm curious about is this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VxWph4lhM8A/SzEvRRMzxYI/AAAAAAAAA20/3hLSn0SBzAE/s1600-h/Weingrill+TubaEuph+014.jpg

Has anyone played it?

It bears a striking resemblance to a St. Pete.

ImageImage
" target="_blank
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby TubaTinker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Bob Kolada wrote:Dan, how did it compare to your 1291 clone?

Having all these fun horns around to play is enough to make a fellow's head spin! There are just a lot of choices of good-playing horns. To me... the NEW Nirschle handles very much like the original Nirschle tubas that were made in the Bohm & Meinl factory in Germany. The horn reminded me very much of the Marzan (B & M) piston horn.... for good reason... I'm told that the bell, bottom bow, and large branches are made off the same tooling.

I would have liked to have had a little more time with the NEW Nirschle tuba. It's difficult to evaluate a horn based on playing it for just a short time. I'm still trying to evaluate the differences between the REAL 1291 and the 'clone'. :lol:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
danschultz@wowway.com
Current 'stable'... Marzan slant-rotor BBb, Marzan piston BBb, Miraphone 1291 5V, Conn 48K sousa
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:15 pm

I've played the Weril/Brazil-made Nirschl-style tubas. I've also played some of the best (and worst) of the "Besson" (Gerhard Meinl) CC tubas...and I've played some very fine (and not-so-fine) old B/M Symphonic (aka Meister Walter Nirschl) BBb and CC tubas.

The Weril/Brazil-made are (not bad, but) the lowest ranking regarding playability of all Nirschl-style/Nirschl-authorized tubas. I'd offer this analogy:

A Brazilian Nirschl is to B/M Symphonic (pre-Gerhard Meinl) as Jinbao 186-5U-CC knock-off is to a c. 1975 Miraphone 186-5U-CC.

The pricing is attractive, but the subtleties of the best of the Nirschl-style tubas are not found in the Brazil production.
Ask about or order Sellmansberger mouthpieces at 901-465-4739 or click the email icon.
Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellmansberger-blokepiece-Tuba-Mouthpieces/193759374019965https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnkSXosZhic#t=62
bloke
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby TubaTinker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 am

bloke wrote:.... A Brazilian Nirschl is to B/M Symphonic (pre-Gerhard Meinl) as Jinbao 186-5U-CC knock-off is to a c. 1975 Miraphone 186-5U-CC.

The pricing is attractive, but the subtleties of the best of the Nirschl-style tubas are not found in the Brazil production.

Agreeing with Joe on this one... well.... mostly. As a professional musician, Joe is MUCH more qualified to judge the playing characteristics of tubas. I found the new Nirschle to be a very good playing horn. However... the fit and finish that I have learned to expect from a B & M-built Nirschle is far superior to the Brazil-made horns. The price is very attractive but the basic fit and finish is somewhat comparable to the JinBao tubas.... as one should expect for the price point.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
danschultz@wowway.com
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Bill Troiano » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am

In the limited time I spent on the horn in the elephant room at the Army Band Conf., I was very impressed. I thought it played like a Nirschl. My major complaint was that it was awkward to hold, but that has been changed in another version (or model), maybe not for the better based on some comments. I am very interested in this horn and I'm looking forward to playing one again if somebody decides to sell them. I guess I didn't really check out the finish. I trust you guys who have, but does anobody agree that it plays pretty much just like a Nirschl?
Bill Troiano
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TubaTinker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Bill Troiano wrote:.... I guess I didn't really check out the finish. I trust you guys who have, but does anobody agree that it plays pretty much just like a Nirschl?

When I use the term 'fit and finish', I'm not referring to the way the horn looks or the quality of the plating/lacquer. This term applies to what is probably the time and grade of lapping compounds that are used to perform the final finishing of the pistons and slides. To me... the '3rd World' produced tubas all have a 'scratchy' feel to them. Sorry if the term '3rd World' offends anyone. I just can't come up with a politically correct term at the moment.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Band Instrument Repair
Newburgh, Indiana
danschultz@wowway.com
TubaTinker
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Euphistuba » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Yes but where can we buy one??
Schiller CC 186 Clone Sellmansberger Symphony
B"&"H Roundstamp Sov. Euphonium
Besson Bb Comp Tuba
Euphistuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Alex F » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 pm

My specific interest is in the BBb model J-700LQ, not the more recently released CC version. I've sent a message to Gemstone to find out who actually sells these horns and where one can actually put their hands on one to try it.

When one speaks of the "fit and finish" issues, would they be similar to those encountered with the "new style" King 2341s coming out of Eastlake, Ohio? The reports I have read about these horns is that they can also be quite rough coming out of the factory but can be made quite nice with the help of a quality tuba specialiist like Joe, Dan, Lee Stofer, or Matt Wlaters. This appears to t be the case with my King 2341 (ex Mike Finn). With some valve lapping, installation of new valve guides, and addition of some water keys, plus a good cleaning, all done by Mr. Stofer, this is a very good horn. Of course, I did not first lay it until after all the work was done buy Mike did tell me that he had the pick of the ltter when he bought it from BBC. My only gripe about the horn is the weight and the valve placement - for ME it is a bit of a atretch to hit thouse pistons.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet