What I just saw...

The bulk of the musical talk
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

What I just saw...

Post by MileMarkerZero »

in a local HS band room: :(

Lined up in stands against the back wall were three (3!) Satin-silver Holton BBb BATs with bell-fronts and 4 front valves. Judging from the valves (which feel like they were lubed with maple syrup), they aren't being used. Silver is 85-90% intact. A little Hagmann's and a diaper and those things would be really nice looking.

It makes me shudder to think how many of those things are gathering dust in the band rooms of America, along with all the Beuscher, Martin, and Conn BATs.

How much is one of those worth in good playing condition? $1500? $2K? I didn't see any major cave-in dents like you would expect to see in horns of that age and size sitting out in a HS band room. Just normal wear and tear dents and dings. And not too many of those.
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MileMarkerZero »

Maryville HS

I'll leave their disposition up to the BD, but I'm quite certain he doesn't realize the desirability what's sitting back there. I'll be sure to tell him. If we're fortunate, we may see 3 vintage Holton BAT's on e-bay.
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.
Paul S
3 valves
3 valves

Re: heavy artillery stockpile

Post by Paul S »

tn2bist wrote: It's nice when a band director does it right and buys an instrument that will last forEVER. I was pretty lucky to have a really nice Miraphone 186 to play at ORHS.
Speaking of heavy artillery and instruments made to last, I was digging through some of my old photos when I came across this one of my section of Conn 34J four valve Orchestral Grands with full action valves and upright bells.

I was the very young and happy section leader with the state solo medals below his handkerchief under the arrow. I have no idea if these beauties are still at my old High School or not but I do hope the later directors knew what they had and did not allow them to get junked. They had a seen a lot of tuba players before me and still had nary a dent when I left.
Paul Sidey, CCM '84
Principal Tubist, Grand Lake Symphony
B&S PT-606 CC - Yamaha YFB-621 F
SSH Mouthpieces http://sshmouthpieces.com/" target="_blank