Post by smurphius »

PT50+
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Mouthpieces

Post by GC »

Principal: Rudolf Mienl 10
Secondary: Kellyburg, Bach 12, Bach 18 :)
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

I used to use a Schilke Helleberg II, but now using the Mike Finn MF4 with my Yamaha yfb621.
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

For BBb or CC tuba - Kelly, Kellyberg model
- GBH (Hablowitz) Kaiser model
- Rudolf Meinl (Bruno Tilz) RM-10

For F tuba - Rudolf Meinl RM-9, 7.8 mm backbore
- Mike Finn MF-4

In general, I like to use a relatively lightweight mouthpiece. With the exception of the Mike Finn MF-3 and the MF-4, I really do not care for heavy-wall or Megatone mouthpieces. I feel that they add weight to the instrument and stress to my embouchure, trying to darken the sound through adding mass. The result, in my opinion, is a darker sound through the suppression of mid- and upper frequencies that would otherwise occur in a given pitch. I prefer to play a lightweight mouthpiece, which helps my endurance, and strive to work on having a dark, pleasing sound through what I do with the mouthpiece without relying on the mass to darken my sound. The Kelly mouthpieces, since they require little effort to initiate a sound and do not emit a metallic ring at any volume, seem to be a real breakthrough in mouthpiece technology. I get a fairly large, dark sound with my Kellyberg and like the comfort level that it offers. Of course, every one has their individual needs and tastes. Several of my smallest, youngest students sound best for now on a Bach 32E. By contrast, the GBH Kaiser mouthpiece I have is ridiculously large, but works for me.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

I currently have 3 mouthpieces (1 of which is in the FOR SALE section of TubeNet). The 2 which I would not part with are my Conn Helleberg and my crystal red KELLYberg. Right now, my main mouthpiece for practice and performance is the KELLYberg.

As Lee Stofer said...
The Kelly mouthpieces, since they require little effort to initiate a sound and do not emit a metallic ring at any volume, seem to be a real breakthrough in mouthpiece technology. I get a fairly large, dark sound with my Kellyberg and like the comfort level that it offers.
I am uber impressed with the KELLYberg mouthpieces.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Scott Laskey 30H and 30C
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Viggofonen
bugler
bugler

Post by Viggofonen »

Perantucci PT-84 and PT-86
Jan Viggo Øwre
Norsk Tubaforum
The Norwegian Tuba Forum
pro musician
pro musician

mpcs

Post by tubacdk »

Rotary MW 5/4 CC: Marcinkiewicz N2
RM-43 CC: Yamaha Jim Self and Dillon G3
B&S Symphonie F: Miraphone C4
cbettler
bugler
bugler

Post by cbettler »

I use the Yamaha Bobo mouthpieces (Solo on F, Symphonic on CC), and I also use the Yamaha Jim Self for bigger stuff (mainly orchestra) on my CC as well. I really like Yamaha's product.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

8) I used the 24AW for years. I then got a Denis Wick2, which I liked for everything but the low register. The Conn Helleberg I am now using seems to open up that register quite well without losing the middle. It works well with the 186. 8)
Bearin' up!
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Of the three on the poll, I had to say Helleberg, since that's one of the styles in my small collection.

I've also got a PT50, Hirsbrunner Bruno Tilz M1, B&S 52 (came with my 3302 tuba), Conn Helleberg, Marty Erickson 5, and two Kellybergs (one clear, one "jewel red").

There are different ones that I like for different horns. Usually, however, I just pick one that most closely matches what others in the section are using. It does no good if I try to use the Tilz M1's brighter sound when everyone else is on PT50's and other large mouthpieces.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

None of the above

Post by Lew »

Helleberg is a style, not really a brand, although I guess the original Helleberg was made by Conn with August Helleberg, tuba player with the Sousa band, so you could consider it a Conn. :)

I use a Doug Elliott R cup (Helleberg style) with a 132 rim and an R6E shank on my King 2341. I have been going back and forth between a Mike Finn 2 and a Denis Wick 3 on my Besson 983. I use a Dillon H2 (Helleberg) on my Distin Bb and a King 7B (like the Conn Helleberg 7B) on my King 1250 sousaphone. I plan to use the Kellyberg on my sousaphone for Tuba Christmas and use the Dillon H2 with my helicons.