Tuba Practice Mutes

The bulk of the musical talk
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Tuba Practice Mutes

Post by Adam C. »

The wife has come downstairs at 10pm once too many times it seems...

I'm in the market for a tuba mute, preferably one that fits a PT-6P AND a Besson 981. I've heard good things about Trumcor mutes and the Yamaha Silent Brass without the electronics, but I have never actually tested any practice mute.

I generally try to avoid all mutes whenever possible.

Can anyone provide some comments on these or any other practice mutes? Are practice mutes usually "instock" at places like Baltimore Brass, Dillon, and Rayburn?
docpugh
bugler
bugler

Post by docpugh »

I use the Yamaha Silent Brass system and I really like it. I can play downstairs while the wife and child are asleep and it never wakes them up. It changes the playing characteristics a little, but a small sacrifice to keep the peace in the house.
==============================
Ivan Darrell Pugh, Jr., DO
http://docpugh.mav.net
docpugh@yahoo.com
==============================
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Tuba Practice Mutes

Post by Dean E »

I recommend the Yamaha Silent Brass system.
It is quiet, and I like being able to play along with CD or mp3 recordings by connecting to a CD player or computer sound card. You can also accept input from an electronic tuner and one or more other players.
Negatives:
The mute makes an instrument top-heavy and more difficult to clear water when a horn lacks good water keys. You can't simply rotate the horn/mute assembly without worrying about the mute falling out or disconnecting the mute's mic pickup cord.
Using numerous patch cords and the headset/earphone cord creates a messy spaghetti bowl that must be managed along with a top-heavy horn and remote control clicker (for the CD player).
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Hands down winner...

Post by Alex C »

...for me is the Trumcor practice mute. They make a different mute for different sized tubas and they are constantly refining them.

My practice mute is good but the newer ones offer some nice changes I wish I had.