Tuba method inquiry

The bulk of the musical talk
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Tuba method inquiry

Post by Wes Krygsman »

First and second book of practical studies are great books. I use them even for advanced college students and even myself sometimes.

After being able to play the whole 2 books as written, read them all again in cut time, then original tempo down and up an octave changing articulations and dynamics. Makes for a fun melodic warm up. You can even transpose them at sight in different keys. They are short and simple enough to have some success doing all of these crazy things to them, which can be applied to other etudes, solos, excerpts, etc.

This practice method is overtraining (bleeding in the dojo so you can live comfortably on the battlefield) and helps the student realize that what's written isn't as hard as it seems. Have you ever tried to play ride or fountains down an octave? How about Hungarian march or Bydlo up an octave? Makes where it's written seem much easier.

I start that whole overtraining process with these books.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Great stuff.

Thanks!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bwtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by bwtuba »

Donald Knaub taught some of the best in the business - Roger Bobo, Cherry Beauregard, Ron Bishop, Chuck Daellenbach, Toby Hanks, Mike Sanders, John Stevens, Dan Perantoni, etc. etc. That's just some of the tuba players - his trombone students are equally impressive.

I grew up playing Knaub / Bordogni / Tyrell / Arban. The Knaub book is basically the Remington (his teacher) warmups arranged for tuba plus the Blazevich etudes with some commentary. If nothing else, the Blazevich etudes in this version from MCA are way better in terms of typesetting / readability than the old Robert King versions.Well worth it if you can find a copy...
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Post by pjdicris »

I like Rubank Advanced a whole lot. After/in conjunction with that, I like Tyrell 40 etudes and some sort of Bordogni (I like Robert King for CC, but there are plenty of others -- I use the Ostrander when I work on F tuba). Kopprasch is good too.

I was never an Arban's guy, but I have both the trumpet and the Wes Jacobs...

If you want the Arnold Jacobs special studies, here you go: http://www.windsongpress.com/jacobs/wri ... METHOD.pdf" target="_blank
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Post by sousaphonehero »

The Rubank advanced book Volume 1 is pretty good. Volume 2 is exactly like volume 1, but everything is in more "advanced" (non-band) key signatures. It becomes tedious as most of the exercises mirror those in volume 1. I would recommend moving on to the Cimera combined with the Rochut/Borgogni (same thing). Add some duets or something to keep it fun also.
Miraphone 186 CC 5v
Conn 21J
Buescher 4/4 Eb
Amati Kaiser Baritone
Wessex Trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Bill Troiano wrote:Check out the First Book of Practical Studies, and then, The Second Book of Practical Studies, by Getchell
iiipopes wrote:Rubank makes an Intermediate and an Advanced (Vol1) method as well.
In the past, I had just been copying excerpts and holiday music.

I got these recently and they are really keeping me busy!!

These match my "technical proficiency" :oops: after having been out of tuba playing for 30+yrs.

I got back into it two years ago, inspired by Tuba Christmas.

I think these will help me improve year 'round.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

A few months ago I finished up the two volumes (each different) of Kopprasch for tuba:

High Volume (works for Euph also)
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/60etudesfo ... reuphonium

Other volume:
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/60etudesfortuba

For me and especially for accuracy, this have been my go to for years. Or when I was playing they were.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

Try this one.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77265" target="_blank
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

BVD Press wrote:A few months ago I finished up the two volumes (each different) of Kopprasch for tuba:

Other volume:

For me and especially for accuracy, this have been my go to for years. Or when I was playing they were.
hrender wrote:
BVD Press wrote:A few months ago I finished up the two volumes (each different) of Kopprasch for tuba:

Other volume:

How different is your edition from the old Robert King edition?
Really no idea because I did not use it as a reference. I went from the original publications found here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Kopprasch,_Georg[/url]

There are definitely more than King, but past that I have not even looked at the King version for more than a decade.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Bill Troiano wrote:Check out the First Book of Practical Studies, and then, The Second Book of Practical Studies, by Getchell and published by Belwin. They are just a series of etudes starting with simple quarter, half and whole note studies in Bb and progressing up to medium difficulty by the end of the second book. Plus, the end of the first book has some useful scale studies.
I pull those out every time I change key.

:tuba:
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

An old solo called "Air and Bourree" ( J.S.Bach, edited by Wm. Bell) was a staple for us in school. I played the school's copy, and years later bought my own. I was really surprised to see I still found it challenging after playing the better known solos.

Recently I unearthed my Kopprasch book, and I am astonished now at how good it is. It was over my head when I needed it most. I think at slow tempi a young person can use it.

The Hip Bone music "20 minute warm-up" has helped me over years of owning it.
MORE AIR
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

sailn2ba wrote:I'm curious what folks think of "progressive techniques for tuba" by donald knaub.It features a daily routine (warm-up) section and all 70 of the Blazhevich etudes. It's out of print. My copy, publ MCA/Hal Leonard has the cover featured on Amazon, but it's ISBN 0-7935-1780-X. Cost on cover was US $14.95.
I've looked for it, and it's very hard to find, a used copy pops up occasionally on Amazon, but to use it as a method for multiple students wouldn't be easy to find enough copies. I also think the book until you get into the Blazhevich Etudes (which are available as a free download from IMSLIP) is mostly set up to get people used to CC tuba. I would suggest finding a more current book that your students can actually buy, and if you want to supplement that with the Blezhevich etudes you can print those off free from the IMSLIP Download which is no Public Domain.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H