Tuba method inquiry

The bulk of the musical talk
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Tuba method inquiry

Post by tclements »

I have been teaching a bunch of beginning tubas lately. After Rubank Elementary (which I like for beginners), into what book should I move my kids. Thanks!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Tuba method inquiry

Post by iiipopes »

Rubank makes an Intermediate and an Advanced method as well. My band director used the Advanced for everything but percussion. It does not do anything in real depth like some of the other methods do, but it covers all aspects of playing: keys, scales, melodic studies, articulation, flexibility, etc. Any player who can do both volumes of the Rubank Advanced will be able to play any college level material.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

i hate the rubank intermediate book, as organized as the advanced book is the intermediate book seems to be very haphazard. there is an old band series by Ed Sueta. Plain old books nothing fancy but very good rhythmic training. You can review stuff in book one and go through book 2 & 3 and then they should be ready for the Rubank Advanced book. Also if you can find the old Mel bay fun with tuba lots of great old songs to get the kids playing melodies.
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Check out the First Book of Practical Studies, and then, The Second Book of Practical Studies, by Getchell and published by Belwin. They are just a series of etudes starting with simple quarter, half and whole note studies in Bb and progressing up to medium difficulty by the end of the second book. Plus, the end of the first book has some useful scale studies.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

I always move on to Arbans and Rochut.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

how old are they? I forgo alot of the technical stuff such as Arbans, etc. with the younger kids and just try to get them playing melodies and tunes (something tuba - and trombone and euph - players rarely get to do at school and in band music). A.) it is more enjoyable and B.) it will help keep their interest (remember most kids have an attention span of a flea). You can use lots of songs to teach rhythms and techniques such as slurring and artix without getting into the boring old books. When a kid gets serious, usually in HS, then I hit them with the meat and potatoes. Don't get me wrong I still work on tone, scales, and keys.

I do like the Rubank Advanced books, they are sort of like an Arbans "lite". I usually get older MS or younger HS kids into this book. It is very well organized with chapters including scales, artix, melodic interpretation, technical studies and solos all organized by major and minor key signatures.

FYI, I have been teaching elementary band for 25 years, and my main focus is to get kids to love to play their horn, not turn them into professional tuba players. If they end up loving it that much, and want to really get serious about it, then I take them to the next level. Just my philosophy on teaching. I know as a kid, I never practiced in elementary and junior HS. It wasn't until HS when the light went on so to speak. Would I be a better player today if I would have? I don't know.

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I also assign a simple song that they have to learn to play by ear every week. I start out very simple like mary had a little lamb starting on different notes, then go to twinkle twinkle, old macdonald, etc.
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCradler »

Kuhn - Cimera Method
Old school, baby! No fluff, minimal commentary. The Beeler books are also quite good.
John Cradler
Chriss2760
bugler
bugler

Post by Chriss2760 »

Hey Tony,
Nice to see you posting here. And a big Thank You for your book on warm-ups. Great stuff and I use it frequently.
For your "moving beyond the beginning stage" students I would recommend A) the Blazevich and B) Rochut studies and, when they're ready, a good book of solos, (like Wekselblatt's) will give them something fun to work on in addition to the long-tone and flexibility stuff.
Best.
Chris.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Thank you for your help on this. I have you cannot go from the Rubank Elementary straight into yrell, or Blazevich or Rochut. I'm looking for a 'bridge' method to get us out of Rubank, moving towards the Cimera or the like. I use also "Legato Studies for Bass trombone or Tuba" by Fink as well.
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I would also recommend the Hal Leonard Advanced Band Method which has lessons and exercises by Arnold Jacobs for about the last 20 pages. Challenging but not tooo hard and Mr. Jacobs stuff is pure gold.

Once I have my students past the elementary stage I usually go with some simple Kopprasch, Rochut and Remington. This gets them moving the air, thinking about music making and starting to slur effectively.

There are certain method books that you will never outgrow:
Remington Warm-ups (I prefer the 9 page hand written version)
Rochut etudes for trombone (Bordogni)
Arban
Clarke Technical Studies
Kopprasch

Another goodie is Roger Bobo Mastering the Tuba .

Just my $0.02.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
djwesp
5 valves
5 valves

Post by djwesp »

tclements wrote: I'm looking for a 'bridge' method to get us out of Rubank...
This, I think, would be a great opportunity for practical studies 1/2. By the end of 2, going into kopprasch, or rochut is a reasonable expectation.

Another thought is using 24 artistic studies (by frank woodruff) in place of kopprasch/rochut. It contains blazhevich, rochut, and kopprasch and is laid out in more of a progressive (of difficulty) order. It turns out cheaper and is easier in the long run.
sailn2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sailn2ba »

I'm curious what folks think of "progressive techniques for tuba" by donald knaub.It features a daily routine (warm-up) section and all 70 of the Blazhevich etudes. It's out of print. My copy, publ MCA/Hal Leonard has the cover featured on Amazon, but it's ISBN 0-7935-1780-X. Cost on cover was US $14.95.
sailn2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sailn2ba »

. . . and what is the situation with copyright on the Arban Trombone Method? I see that free downloads are available on the 'net. Presumably that's the 1936 version.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:1st/2nd Book of Practical Studies paired with the Shoemaker - Legato Etudes for Tuba

' just the stuff that popped into my head first as "after Rubank" stuff...
Bill Troiano wrote:Check out the First Book of Practical Studies, and then, The Second Book of Practical Studies, by Getchell and published by Belwin. They are just a series of etudes starting with simple quarter, half and whole note studies in Bb and progressing up to medium difficulty by the end of the second book. Plus, the end of the first book has some useful scale studies.
Any more thoughts on "intermediate" stuff??

I'm finding Blazhevich a little too challenging!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

djwesp wrote:
Another thought is using 24 artistic studies (by frank woodruff) in place of kopprasch/rochut. It contains blazhevich, rochut, and kopprasch and is laid out in more of a progressive (of difficulty) order. It turns out cheaper and is easier in the long run.
Another possibility, appears to be out of print, but I can always check dusty shelves!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

For those who consider Bordogni/Blazhevich/Kopprasch (essential as they are) to have a somewhat archaic approach to melody, you may want to consider Style Studies, edited by Patrick Sheridan. This would be a good book for an intermediate level student.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

check out hip bone music .com.

Michael Davis has some cool play along CDs that are modern and "hip"

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

sailn2ba wrote:I'm curious what folks think of "progressive techniques for tuba" by donald knaub.It features a daily routine (warm-up) section and all 70 of the Blazhevich etudes. It's out of print. My copy, publ MCA/Hal Leonard has the cover featured on Amazon, but it's ISBN 0-7935-1780-X. Cost on cover was US $14.95.
The Knaub is excellent. I sold my copy but hope to find another. I also like Tony's use of the Fink. It's a great book for teaching use of air, slurs, dynamics, range, etc.

Ace
Mark

Post by Mark »

Three Valves wrote:Any more thoughts on "intermediate" stuff??

I'm finding Blazhevich a little too challenging!!
Tyrell - 40 Advanced Studies for BBb Bass