Bravo, Alexander von Puttkamer!!

The bulk of the musical talk
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Bravo, Alexander von Puttkamer!!

Post by AHynds »

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to watch the live Digital Concert Hall broadcast of the Berlin Philharmonic with Sir Simon Rattle playing Schoenberg's "A Survivor from Warsaw" and Mahler's Symphony no. 2. Obviously the whole orchestra sounded great, but Herr von Puttkamer in particular sounded amazing. Deep, rich sound, perfectly balanced with the orchestra. The trombone/tuba chorale in the fifth movement was simply fantastic. The most impressive part of the concert was that there was no break in between the two pieces--the orchestra played the last note of the Schoenberg, Sir Simon took about a 3 second break, and then he launched directly into the first notes of the Mahler. On top of that, there was no noticeable playing fatigue from any of the members of the orchestra, even until the end of the symphony. Great, great music.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Berlin's Digital Concert Hall, follow this link. I'm already thinking about purchasing the concerts next spring for Mahler's 5th and 6th symphonies.

http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/

Once again, good job, Herr von Puttkamer!

Aaron

P.S., for you gear heads, I believe the tuba used was a silver Fafner BBb, (Edit: looks like it's actually the 197 Hilgers model BBb. Still, I'm sure it's the player, not the horn, that's making such a great sound.)

P.P.S., to get an idea of the sound I was talking about, go this clip and listen to the low brass at the 1:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT6yuyULvDs

Or go to this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTemkkT0UI
Last edited by AHynds on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Hynds, DMA
Lecturer, Music Business & New Media - University of Kentucky
I like to make and record sounds with metal pipes and computers.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Bravo, Alexander von Puttkamer!!

Post by oedipoes »

AHynds wrote: P.S., for you gear heads, I believe the tuba used was a silver Fafner BBb.
A silver Melton 197 that is ! (the Walter Hilgers model)
I would definitely like to play one of these once, but they are rare outside of Germany...

Mr. Von Puttkamer is one of the best tuba players out there !!

Wim
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I agree Von Puttkamer is a great player with super rich sound. If you visit the BPO Digital Hall on-line concert archive, listen to the Shostokovich 12 - my favorite performance there - incredible! :)
AHynds wrote:P.S., for you gear heads, I believe the tuba used was a silver Fafner BBb
Unless he has recently changed, it is in fact a MW 197 'Hilger' Kaiser BBb :wink:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

What a beautiful, deep, rich organ-like tuba sound! :shock: :tuba: I had the pleasure of listening and watching the Berlin Phil and NY Phil back-to-back on PBS on I think New Years. Did anyone else catch it? It was a real treat to watch and hear them both on TV on the same night. Mr. Puttkamer is an amazing musician with one of the most gorgeous tuba sounds I have heard. Now that makes me wanna go try a MW "Hilgers" BBb tuba :tuba: :mrgreen:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks for the reminder! Time to buy my Berlin Philharmonic tickets for my trip to Berlin in December! Vielen Dank!
Keith Sanders
bugler
bugler

Post by Keith Sanders »

The way that he sounds on a big contrabass BBb tuba is the exact reason I jumped on that Cerveny Kaiser that Tubatinker was selling a few weeks ago. I always wanted a big rotary BBb with that naturally big, deep, rich sound. And the one that I got has the response of a CC and the meatiness of a BBb in the low register..... so the best of both worlds for me!! If you notice, he is very clear in his sound and yet very supportive of the brass section and really just wonderful. I like it.

Bravo herr Puttkamer!!!!

Just my $0.01 cents.

Keith Sanders
Keith Sanders

Northwestern State University- MM in Music Performance- Spring 2017
Thomas Edison State College- BA in Music- 2010
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

tooba wrote:Now that makes me wanna go try a MW "Hilgers" BBb tuba
It is a model of tuba I would very much like to try because of their great sound (I listened to one live in August). However, I have heard they have difficult intonation (maybe like an Alex?). The Hilgers 197 is based on an old B&F pre-WW2 model found in Berlin which was reputably played in Hiltler's Guards band. Did you know Nirschl also produces a Kaiser BBb based on similar B&F found in Vienna, but the Nirschl has larger 20" bell? In a picture I saw it dwarfed the Nirschl 6/4 York CC!
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
What I had heard is that Hilgers found this horn-the large B&F-in the rafters of the Opera House. It had 'SS' stampings on it, and was used by a WWII German 'SS' band member of the period.

mark
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Neptune wrote:
tooba wrote:Now that makes me wanna go try a MW "Hilgers" BBb tuba
It is a model of tuba I would very much like to try because of their great sound (I listened to one live in August). However, I have heard they have difficult intonation (maybe like an Alex?). The Hilgers 197 is based on an old B&F pre-WW2 model found in Berlin which was reputably played in Hiltler's Guards band. Did you know Nirschl also produces a Kaiser BBb based on similar B&F found in Vienna, but the Nirschl has larger 20" bell? In a picture I saw it dwarfed the Nirschl 6/4 York CC!
Jonathan,

Do you have more info on the Nirschl Kaiser?
The only one I can find is the 4/4 BBb he is making for Thomann... also a very nice tuba.

Thx

Wim
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

oedipoes wrote:Do you have more info on the Nirschl Kaiser?
Only that I heard it is based on another Bohland & Fuchs Kaiser that Walter Hilgers found while in Vienna. Here is photo that was sent me of Nirschl Kaiser BBb beside their York 6/4 CC. My friend who tried it, actually preferred to the Rudolf Meinl, or Fafner. I understand the Kaiser costs 14,000 euros ordered direct from the factory, which sounds reasonable to me for an entirely handmade tuba - but I am not in the market, quite satisfied with my goldbrass handmade Neptune :)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Great pic! Now they need to make one of these '7/4' horns-like this one and the super sized Rudi--in CC....
mark
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Yes, magnificent tuba sound, Alexander von Puttkammer using Meltons B&F-"copy" of the "German York"............. But for the ensemble, please, have a look at the trombone section, as well. All players are using Deutsche Posaunen, a not very easy to play conical trombone, a.o. produced the Berlin shop THROJA in cooperation with players of the Berlin Symphonic. I like their blending with the "softer" brass (tuba, horns) so much..
Hubert
:tuba:
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

Neptune wrote: Unless he has recently changed, it is in fact a MW 197 'Hilger' Kaiser BBb
Sorry to comment you, to my eyes his tuba doesn't have the typical Melton/MW design for the 197 model.
His tuba has a separate thumb ring which not any of their rotary models have. Further, the third valve tubing isn't lying along the bell that it is today. It's the first valve tubing seen.
Also the bell diameter is for sure not 46 cm but sooner 50 cm. It could be an early prototype or a special design, definitely not the model today.
Regarding intonation difficulties, look at his left hand pumping the first valve slide.
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Lars Trawen wrote:
Neptune wrote: Unless he has recently changed, it is in fact a MW 197 'Hilger' Kaiser BBb
Sorry to comment you, to my eyes his tuba doesn't have the typical Melton/MW design for the 197 model.
His tuba has a separate thumb ring which not any of their rotary models have. Further, the third valve tubing isn't lying along the bell that it is today. It's the first valve tubing seen.
Also the bell diameter is for sure not 46 cm but sooner 50 cm. It could be an early prototype or a special design, definitely not the model today.
Regarding intonation difficulties, look at his left hand pumping the first valve slide.
I don't think so, the bell shape and flare look very much like the Melton 197's 460mm to me, also compare the lead pipe routing...
The 3rd valve slide seems to have been moved to the back when compared to the current Melton pic. You have a very good point there.
The Fafner 195 has an optional 4th valve slide at the back in stead of front, maybe a similar thing here?

Wim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Neptune wrote:
oedipoes wrote:Do you have more info on the Nirschl Kaiser?
Only that I heard it is based on another Bohland & Fuchs Kaiser that Walter Hilgers found while in Vienna. Here is photo that was sent me of Nirschl Kaiser BBb beside their York 6/4 CC. My friend who tried it, actually preferred to the Rudolf Meinl, or Fafner. I understand the Kaiser costs 14,000 euros ordered direct from the factory, which sounds reasonable to me for an entirely handmade tuba - but I am not in the market, quite satisfied with my goldbrass handmade Neptune :)
For sale here: (Mr. Tucci's shop in Puchheim)

http://www.hornboerse.de/cgi-bin/shop/l ... 29913&ls=e

Would like to try that one !

Wim
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Post by apkujala »

Interesting post from this mister in instagram.

Left is 197/2, middle is old B&F that was overhauled by Melton (and with mr. Nirschl one of the people on job) and on right is first copy of the B&F in middle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.