Proper attire for a morning wedding?

The bulk of the musical talk
Philip Jensen
bugler
bugler

Proper attire for a morning wedding?

Post by Philip Jensen »

I remember an old post about proper attire for different performance times but my archive search didn't find it. I remember it was a Joe S. rant (a good one). I searched the WWW for guidlines and only found those for patrons, or school kids. So I'd like this group's learned opinion.

Here's the scenario. My sister is getting married at 11:00 AM. The ceremony will be outdoors or in an old house converted to a museum (same locale) My brother (bass trombone) and I are playing for her ceremony. What should we wear? I own a tux, my brother does not (an inverse correlation with playing ability :wink:). We both have dark suits. My sister is thinking we should wear tuxes, and matching ones to boot. I'd rather not have to rent a tux as I already own one, and I'm not convinced that it would even be appropriate for us to wear one.

I don't know what position we will be perfoming from relative to the ceremony. My brother was figuring if we are up front, than fancier, if in the back less fancy.

Thanks for your help!

Philip "I'd better get crackin' on the wedding music" Jensen
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb
King 4V BBb ~1913
Holton 4V Eb 1920
Holton 3V Eb 1930
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

This is different!

Post by Joe Baker »

This situation has a wrinkle that overrides common or accepted practice. Your sister is the bride. Women store up a ton of dreams about how they want things on their wedding day. Playing is, I assume, a gift from you and your brother to her. If she wants you guys to wear swim fins & Tubenet thongs, you should do it.
6 valves

Proper Attire

Post by TubaRay »

As is implied or explicitly stated above, wear WHATEVER the bride wants. Life will be infinitely better if you follow that one, simple piece of advice.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

This is one of the few times that Politics over-rides Logic.

Like everyone else has stated, do what the bride wants. Especially if you are good friends with the groom.

Seeing as weddings are often exceptions to the rule when it comes to many things, a Tuxedo can be appropriate at this time.

I have been at noon time weddings wearing tails. The groom "picked out" the outfits, even though we know it was under direction of the "boss".

A hundred bucks or so on you and your brothers part isn't too much to insure that your sister is at least happy with your participation in the wedding. Plus, if you appear in any wedding photos, this becomes even more important to look good for posperity's sake.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

Let me take this one step further since this is a family affair. The bride comes first but if she doesn't have strong feelings go to the next "in charge", the bride's mother. She might have some influence over you in the future.
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Proper Attire

Post by TubaRay »

Norm, you are another very wise man. You are quite obviously in touch with the proper protocol.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Normal wrote:Let me take this one step further since this is a family affair. The bride comes first but if she doesn't have strong feelings go to the next "in charge", the bride's mother. She might have some influence over you in the future.
When I took wedding photos as a side gig during college, I came to regard the bride's mother as the one person in charge of everything. I treated her with fear and respect, and sometimes fear and loathing. No bride was as demanding as her mother in my experience.

Except for my wife, but then we were all the way grown up when we got married.

By the way, Ray (since you are reading this thread), I'll be in San Antonio next week for a meeting. T'seat!

Rick "salivating in anticipation of the Blanco Cafe" Denney
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

pedal_tones wrote:... and I know for a fact that you better do what ever the bride wants.
LOL ;)

Reminds me of a line I heard at a foundation dinner last weekend:

"Right from the start, I knew that I married Miss Right. But, I didn't suspect that her middle name was Always."
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

Hey I had to pay extra after a mother tried during the rehersal to change my chosen music. The musicians almost quit!
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Was that a "morning wedding" or a "mourning" wedding? :lol: :lol:
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Re: This is different!

Post by Joe Baker »

Jmcneil wrote: Where can I pick up one of those tubenet thongs?
http://www.cafeshops.com/TubeNet

Hey, Sean, how many of those you sold so far? BTW, I had a dickens of a time finding the URL.
bugler
bugler

Post by Philip Jensen »

That would be a MORNING wedding. We are all extremely pleased with the future in-law. Especially considering some of the earlier other possible suspects.

The tux has been reserved. Now I just need to do some practicing. She just asked if my brother and I, seeing as how the grooms family is Polish, could we play a polka after the postlude while everybody else is filing out. So now we're going to give the Pennsylvania polka a shot as a tuba and bass trombone duet. Anybody have that already written out? :lol:
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb
King 4V BBb ~1913
Holton 4V Eb 1920
Holton 3V Eb 1930