Injured, and looking for a left handed tuba.

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Injured, and looking for a left handed tuba.

Post by Rick Denney »

Bove wrote:Are there a variety of sturdy stands like that for regular tubas too?
The classic stand of this type is a Wenger Tuba Tamer.

http://www.wengercorp.com/Chairs/Tuba.html

I was also thinking it would be possible to build a temporary linkage setup for a rotary tuba. The stop arms would be backwards--but the linkage could be temporarily soldered to the left branch and threaded-rod linkages could be built in a short time. I think the only thing any tinkerer could do is deal with the stop arms.

Rick "thinking 'reversible' won't prevent restoring and selling the instrument after the crisis has passed" Denney
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I wonder on a rotary tuba it would be possible to move the keys to the left hand side and put temporary linkage to the valves? If you don't have a rotary tuba, then you could get an old one to convert
I have seen that done on an Eb Saint Pete. It's not too complicated. The guy who had it used to play a three-valve front-action tuba left-handed, and did it for years.

Bloke's suggestion is still the simplest, but most top-action tubas can also be played left-handed if your arm is not too short.

Good luck!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I know of a Schilke (Yamaha) YBB-321 left hand tuba in the Indianapolis, Indiana are that may be for sale. Not exactly a professional tuba but let me know by private email and I'll put you in touch with the owner.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Robb
lurker
lurker

Post by Robb »

Bove,

Neptune is right, any competent brass repairman can make this modification as long as the rotary valves have ball and socket linkages. Here's a Mirafone that I modified a few years ago, this guy could still us his right thumb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robb Stewart
Casey Tucker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Casey Tucker »

Such terrible news!

I have a friend that I met back in high school that has a Miraphone 188/186 (can't remember) that has the valves redirected to the left for medical reasons. His name is Eddie Brown and his username is Ejbrown1. I'm not sure if he frequents the board much but you might try to PM him to possibly get some advice as to how he approached the situation. Good luck!

-CT
SousaSaver
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SousaSaver »

A rotary tuba modification makes alot of sense. To do the same on a piston horn would require a greater deal of work. Don't bend yourself into a pretzel to play. I can't imagine that having to reach a great distance around your horn can do anything good for your airway...
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Casey Tucker wrote:Such terrible news!

I have a friend that I met back in high school that has a Miraphone 188/186 (can't remember) that has the valves redirected to the left for medical reasons. His name is Eddie Brown and his username is Ejbrown1. I'm not sure if he frequents the board much but you might try to PM him to possibly get some advice as to how he approached the situation. Good luck!

-CT
I crossed paths with Eddie a few times years ago.

For a couple of years he had a St. Pete that was converted to play with the left hand. I believe he eventually ended up with a Miraphone 186 setup the same way. He went to UNT (I think) to study with Don Little...might be able to track him down that way?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Bove
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Bove »

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! You have all been very helpful.

update: Matt Walters is converting one of my rotary tubas for left hand use. I'll put it on a Tuba Tamer, and should be all set for the next few months.
Andrew Bove
Freelance Tuba NYC
AndrewBove.com
Producer/Audio Engineer
BoveAudio.com
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I think the rotary conversion makes sense.

This would be another possible design option:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41860
Tubas
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

I found that I can use the valves on my Miraphone 1290 and my Conn 3J with my left hand. It is not the most comfortable situation but it will work. I am wondering if you checked various front action piston valve horns that you might find one that would work for you without the cost of alterations. Too bad that Walter Sear isn't here any more as his shop used to have a great many different models of horns.
Good luck, Phil
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottM »

About 30+ years ago I did a left hand conversion for a tubist who had a severe long term injury to their right hand and arm. Even then it was expensive as it involved about two weeks of labor as we also altered the lead pipe to come across the top bow for better balance. The reach "around the front option" should work and if you can find one of the valve top action Yamahas you might even be able to use the fourth valve. A smart repairman might be able to work out an extention to make the valve reachable with your pinky. A Besson might work too as you might be able to use your right hand to depress the fourth valve on a besson without putting any real strain or pressure on your arm.
The music shop is closed so no can help with a conversion and frankly it was a real pain to do.
Good luck and get well soon!!
catkins522
bugler
bugler

Post by catkins522 »

I was looking for a left handed tuba around 1 year ago, due to a stroke many, many moons ago. I was going to covert either a MW 186 (BBb) and/or a cheap Chinese tuba. However, after talking to 2 repairmens (both of them either was pro or studied with major university professor), I decieded to go with a piston valves instead of rotories. No cost repair, but you will need to practice a little due to the arragements of the right finger placement. I am very happy and now playing with a small community band.

Charles Atkins
Charles Atkins
1958 Conn 4J with new parts...
J.c. Sherman
6 valves
6 valves

Post by J.c. Sherman »

Neptune wrote:What a dreadful thing to happen.

I wonder on a rotary tuba it would be possible to move the keys to the left hand side and put temporary linkage to the valves? If you don't have a rotary tuba, then you could get an old one to convert - to be restored to normal and sold once you recover.

Good luck!
That wouldn't be excruciatingly difficult.
Instructor of Tuba & Euphonium, Cleveland State University
Principal Tuba, Firelands Symphony Orchestra
President, Variations in Brass
http://www.jcsherman.net
MileMarkerZero
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MileMarkerZero »

This is the best pic I could find of one, but the Alex 173 has the valves "flipped" so that the 2nd slide points out to the left and the linkage attaches to the valves on the backside of the horn:

That might make this horn easier to convert to left hand if you can find one. One other thing about these horns (having noodled around on one at a TC several years ago) is that the valve throw is very short. I think that's mostly due to a mechanical advantage gained by the differing lengths of the linkage rods, but it felt like the valve throw was about halfway between a standard rotary tuba and a french horn. About like an old Conn short-action set.
SD

I am convinced that 90% of the problems with rhythm, tone, intonation, articulation, technique, and overall prowess on the horn are related to air issues.