Sanders tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Sanders tubas

Post by Dan Schultz »

What's the poop on the Sanders tubas that Custom Music is selling? It looks a lot like the VMI copycats that pop up from time to time. I suspect they are Chinese but as horns go, are they worth giving a try?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I have owned a Sanders Imperial tuba for a little over 3 years now. So far the only problems I've had are some sodering problems and the 4th valve is not the best of quality (it sticks and I need to adjust the screw to the perfect tightness so it works. But then it is noisy, so I normally just don't use it!). Also, the response in the upper register in okay but it's do-able. In contrast to what Russell said, my instrument is in the best tune of I think any instrument I've tried, and there is no stuffiness in mine. I get great tone quality from it and it is very easy to blow. Also, the instrument has gotten me to All-State Band for the second year in a row, so in my book, that's a decent instrument. It sounds to me as though these instruments are very inconsistent as to how they stay in shape. I suggest trying one out and I think either you will like it or you won't. Agreeing with Russell, there are many other much better horns out, but if your looking to stay under $3,500 for a new horn, give it a shot!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Sanders tubas

Post by Rick Denney »

TubaTinker wrote:What's the poop on the Sanders tubas that Custom Music is selling? It looks a lot like the VMI copycats that pop up from time to time. I suspect they are Chinese but as horns go, are they worth giving a try?
That company has used the Sanders label for many years, and applied it to a range of instruments made by a range of manufacturers. I once owned a Sanders tuba that was made by Cerveny. I know this because the Sanders label was on a sheet of brass that was stuck to the original bell using adhesive, and when I peeled it off, it said "Cerveny" underneath it. It was a good tuba even though it was soft and collected dents easily.

I suspect but do not know for sure that there have been VMI-made Sanders tubas at times.

It would appear that the Sanders Imperial line is made by a Chinese concern. Reports vary, and you've already seen.

The Sanders Conservatory line, on the other hand, appears to be a Cerveny or something similar. The Etude also fits the description of a 3/4 piston Amati (parent company of Cerveny).

Any horn is worth giving it a try as long as all you are doing is giving it a try. Is it worth buying? That would depend on two things, 1.) can you make music on it with an acceptable amount of work, and 2.) is the price appropriate for the playing qualities, maintainability, and workmanship?

Rick "who didn't notice any prices" Denney