Eb Tuba reunion: My Precious

The bulk of the musical talk
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Eb Tuba reunion: My Precious

Post by Arbeegee »

First post. Nice digs y'all got here.

So yesterday I picked up a surplus Miraphone Eb tuba from a high school. I'd been after it for three years. You see, the last time I saw her, she was a brand-spanking new tuba played by me in the school band... in 1971! Exactly forty years later, I own it.

Like myself, she's a little worse for wear for the years, but still plays beautifully. In fact, I haven't played a note since then so naturally expected nothing but air to emanate. Surprised myself with a buzz on the mouthpiece alone. And then one almost perfect note. Then a scale. After 40 years, I hadn't lost the fingering. Quite amazing.

Its certainly had its bell rung quite a few times, and will require some big dent fixes. The rotary valve keys are worn to the metal as you might expect. Except the fourth valve key. It's perfect. I didn't know how to operate that one either.

But what the heck do I have here? Where could I ever find some additional information on it? The only ID is a triangular Miraphone logo and the number 4116 etched onto the bell.

I have two young daughters I'm slowly nudging into brass. One plays trumpet and the other will start trombone next year. Is that going to be an ok trio? A sort of Von Arbeegee Family Brass. All motivated by a sublime vision forty years ago playing brass quintet Christmas tunes with my tuba on a snowy village corner.

Cheers,
RBG

Eb Mirafone 183-4
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Eb Tuba reunion: My Precious

Post by Alex C »

Get down with yo tuba, you funky boy.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Quartet or quintet is better than trio, but that is just a matter of getting the right boyfriends for the girls.

Welcome!

Good acquisition also because of the story behind that tuba.

If this Eb is like most Miraphone rotary instruments, then you have got yourself a reliable player.

I run a large Yahoo based brass gallery, so I would very much like high resolution photos documenting this tuba like it is now, and potentially also a series of photos after a repair. Please shots emulating the original blueprints. That is right from the front and the back rather than artsy odd angles. There also may be relevant information on your tuba model in my gallery:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Yo ... %20format/

I also run 4 Yahoo groups from where you can download free music including arrangements and scale/interval method stuff (but no fingering tables telling how to use the 4th valve). My stuff may not be your favourite genres, but you will get something to play until you have rebuilt your own library of music. The shared index for these groups is here:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Yo ... 0%20Index/

Klaus from Denmark
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Post by Arbeegee »

Thanks for that Klaus.

I'll definitely document the tuba for you, but might take a bit of time as I'm in the thick of a project just now. Agreed about quartet/quintet and gently broaching the subject with my wife to learn 2nd trumpet along with my daughter. But I fear that it would be as foreign to her as insisting she should suddenly take up Muggle Quidditch or Competitive Duck Herding.

RBG
Eb Mirafone 183-4
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Get a quintet and let the wife do the associated dancing act.

Klaus
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Good year. My 186 is @ 1971. Congrats. You have a horn you will enjoy the rest of your playing life.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Arbeegee wrote:But what the heck do I have here? Where could I ever find some additional information on it? The only ID is a triangular Miraphone logo and the number 4116 etched onto the bell.
Miraphone 183
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Post by Arbeegee »

bort wrote:Miraphone 183
Yes, that looks like it. Thanks. For a while I was thinking it was a 186 but I'm guessing that is the similar BBb?

Btw, found a really neat site explaining how repairs are made on such a tuba. Reasonably close to where I live too.

http://www.oberloh.com/gallery/gallery.htm" target="_blank

RBG
Eb Mirafone 183-4
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The 186 comes in both BBb and CC, and is kind of the "gold standard" for a classic 4/4 rotary contrabass tuba. The 183 is the same idea, just smaller since it's an Eb.

Dan Oberloh is a repair genius and is on this board. You should search on here and look at some of his handiwork, including some ridiculously nice restorations of Holton 345's.
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Post by Arbeegee »

Are there records anywhere that can confirm the year and circumstances of manufacture?

The last time I played it before my recent purchase was in 1971. But the first time was about 1968 when when it was purchased by the school. It has serial #4116 engraved on the bell.

RBG
Eb Mirafone 183-4
Teubonium
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Teubonium »

Arbeegee wrote:Are there records anywhere that can confirm the year and circumstances of manufacture?

The last time I played it before my recent purchase was in 1971. But the first time was about 1968 when when it was purchased by the school. It has serial #4116 engraved on the bell.

RBG
According to http://www.musictrader.com/serialnos.html

Bach Strad 36BO Sakbutt
Besson 967 Euph
MW2141 Eb
Kanstul 33s BBb
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

imperialbari wrote: method stuff (but no fingering tables telling how to use the 4th valve)
There are fingering charts here on TubeNet in the "Tips" section. I think you will find the the low register will speak much better when you learn how to use that 4th valve. You should be able to get a decent tone as deep as a BBb can without false tones (pedal notes).

I imagine it looks like a 'mini-186'. Have fun with your long lost friend!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The Big Ben wrote:
imperialbari wrote: method stuff (but no fingering tables telling how to use the 4th valve)
There are fingering charts here on TubeNet in the "Tips" section. I think you will find the the low register will speak much better when you learn how to use that 4th valve. You should be able to get a decent tone as deep as a BBb can without false tones (pedal notes).

I imagine it looks like a 'mini-186'. Have fun with your long lost friend!
Indeed. 4th valve is straightforward. If you don't have a chart that has 4th valve fingerings, it's very simple: 1+3=4.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Post by Arbeegee »

1968 it is. Makes sense too as I remember going from an old regular-valved silver tuba to the Mirafone when it arrived at the school that year.

Just noticed that the engraved logo reads "Mirafone," not "Miraphone" which I believe means it was shipped from the US. Does it also mean it was manufactured there too?

Looking forward to exploring that 4rth valve. Thanks.

RBG
Eb Mirafone 183-4
Arbeegee
bugler
bugler

Post by Arbeegee »

Love the Tips section. Couldn't believe playing down to that ulta low E with my newly discovered 4rth valve fingering.

This place is making it difficult for me to do regular work.

RBG
Eb Mirafone 183-4
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Arbeegee wrote:Just noticed that the engraved logo reads "Mirafone," not "Miraphone" which I believe means it was shipped from the US. Does it also mean it was manufactured there too?
At the time, there was one USA Miraphone distributor. For some reason, the distributor asked the factory to spell it that way -- marketing. Oversimplified, but the essence of it. The engraving on my 1971 186 BBb is also "Mirafone." Same factory in Germany, just a marketing detail.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.