Harrison Wedge Tuba Mouthpiece Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Harrison Wedge Tuba Mouthpiece

Postby DrDave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

We are now offering the Wedge H2 and SG tuba mouthpieces with the larger European shank. The lead time on these mouthpieces is usually only a few days. We also have introduced the option to have the rim and cup gold plated while leaving the outside silver. Full gold plated models are also available, but because the gold scratches so easily they do not have the usual 2 week return option like the silver and gold rim models.
DrDave
bugler
bugler

Postby cle_tuba » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Hello everybody!
I did the work of Edge Wedge on my Yamaha mouthpiece - Jim Self.
The mouthpiece was just wonderful!!
Was it worth it ...
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

Postby KevinMadden » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Pulling up and old thread but:

I got the H2 earlier this week and absolutely LOVE IT. As many here have already said, my articulations are cleaner, the sound is more centered, I have more consistency, and lip flexibility type exercises are significantly easier. I'll be ordering the 7B for my Eb and a 6 1/2 AL for my bone shortly!
Ithaca College, B.M. 2009
University of Nebraska - Lincoln, M.M. 2017, D.M.A. 2020
Wessex Artiste
Wessex "Grand" BBb, Wessex Solo Eb, Wessex Dulce
KevinMadden
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:06 pm

FWIW: Nearly two years later, and I am still using Wedge MP's. I've migrated away from some of my customized Alex pieces ( still use a custom on the 164). I mainly use the SG for my 163. I use a SJ solo with an SG rim to great effect on my smallest C and my F (Dr. Dave was kind enough to indulge my craziness and manifest my request).

KevinMadden wrote:absolutely LOVE IT

I feel the same.
Ben Vokits
Greenwich Village Orchestra
Richmond County Orchestra
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; Rudy 3/4 C
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Cthuba » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:46 am

I know I am necromancing, but this idea intrigued me. How many people are still using these mouthpieces?
Rudy 3/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Postby opus37 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 am

I use my SJ Solo for quintet and solo work. I bought it for a Wessex Bubbie I no longer have, but I have been using it on my other Eb horns and find it great for most uses.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:16 am

As tuba mouthpieces are so large compared to the size of typical humans, I don't see "pressure from the corners" as much of an issue with them.
I have talks with people on the phone about various stock mpc's and their own reports of what occurs (often: not pressure / more often: side air leaks).

The benefit of identical width/profile rims with different hole sizes (the opening for the player's vibrating lips) is that someone can choose the rim shape/profile that they like (whether they like this/that/the other profile) that (when combined with an ideal choice of circumference) defines an overall diameter that is no wider than the flatness/curvature that a particular player's front teeth can support and/or no wider than the space between a player's chin indention and nose cartilage that a particular player can accommodate.

curvature of jaw and front teeth.gif
curvature of jaw and front teeth.gif (14.13 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby DaveWright » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Is anyone ever completely satisfied with their mouthpiece? I purchased a Wedge H2 delrin several months ago and was very happy with the results. Now you tell me I have more options? I'm reaching for my debit card as I speak. Please let me know when the new mouthpieces are available for trial.
I'm currently using my H2 on a Conn 22K hybred in a dixieland band with fantastic results.
DaveWright
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet