MW 25 vs Miraphone 186 and 187

The bulk of the musical talk
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

All of those are good instruments. The 186 is the one I am most familiar with. My teacher has had one for a long time (10+ years) and it still plays great. Other models that i think would be worth trying are the King 2341, I've heard that VMI makes a decent horn; also, my school owns a Cerveny ABB 681 that is a very excellent horn.

Good Luck!
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

MW

Post by Biggs »

Ok, so Meinl-Weston has taken some flak in the past. However, I currently play a MW 25 and am very happy with it. The first valve intonation is my biggest complaint, as it requires me to move the slide out for Eb just below the staff and in for everything else. Fortunately, all the slides are very accessible! The MW 25 also has good projection and can play both fff and put a decent bottom on 60 other people and opposite that, maintain an excellent tone under a solo clarinet. Miraphones (I have only ever played one and it was in CC) are good in a smaller ensemble but seem to lack (in my limited experience) the same carrying power as an MW 25.
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Allen »

I'm playing a MW32, which I'm told is the 5-valve CC equivalent to the MW25. Biggs mentioned pulling his first valve slide for Eb just below the staff. I have to do the equivalent (pulling the first valve slide for F just below the staff). It appears to be a general quirk with this class of tubas. The low range is not as free blowing as some other tubas, but with practice (and a large mouthpiece), the low range is quite powerful. Further, the tone and intonation over the full range is wonderful.

Regarding being able to support a large ensemble or a small one, I think 4/4 size tubas are ideal. Any larger or smaller, and you have a specialized instrument. If I had the money -- and space -- for more tubas, I would hesitate to get more. Buying different tubas is easy. Putting in the time and effort to be able to play such different instruments well is the big impediment. If there were only 48 hours per day...

Allen Walker
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Re: MW25 vs. Miraphone 186

Post by Lew »

Chuck wrote: ... I want to try the front piston Miraphone 12714 before I choose a horn to replace my top-piston Amati. I need a big BBb for community band and it needs to be equally nimble for quintet.
I would think that the Miraphone 1291 would fit the bill better than the 1271 for those requirements. I think that the 1271 might be a little small for a big community band. The 1291 is very responsive, which would allow you to not overpower a quintet, while having the ability to project like crazy if you need it. I wasn't willing to sell my King to buy one when they came out, but I thought about it.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

I think the MW25 is the better tuba in the hands of someone willing to invest the time learning the horn. Miraphones tend to play very well 'out of the box'. The MW can feel stuffy at first but it's the kind of stuffiness that you can learn to use. Once learned the low register opens up and can have a lot of power. The sound of the MW has a lot more depth and character and projects far better than the 186. If you want something that is fun to play once a week at community band rehearsal(nothing at all wrong with that) then go for the Miraphone. If you want a horn that is truly special go for the MW25.

FWIW,
Joseph
smurphius
3 valves
3 valves

Post by smurphius »

Keep in mind Dave... Grant's F tuba has sticky valves. Seems to be a problem running in MW's horns.