Old Eb tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
Normal
bugler
bugler

Old Eb tubas

Post by Normal »

I know this question has been asked before, but my search of the archives is not turning up much.

I've been toying with the idea of buying an Eb tuba. My motivation is to play some of the solo tuba music I can't reach with my BBb, play string bass parts in my band without having to tranpose, learn something new and different, and playing vocal music. It's hard to justify spending a lot (over $1000) when I'll mainly be playing for myself.

I've seen a number of older tubas for sale lately. The latest I have been looking at are a couple of 1910 - 1920 JW Yorks. If you assume that these tubas are sound mechanically, are there other problems such intonation that limit the usefulness of one of these old horns?
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb
Yamaha YBL 612 Bass Trombone

Willamette Valley Concert Band
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

The big York "monster" Eb tubas underwent several design changes during their very long product life. Quite a number were manufactured in the old high pitch (A=457). Some have pretty decent intonation; others have terrible intonation.

About the only way to tell is to play before you pay.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Old Eb tubas

Post by Dan Schultz »

Normal wrote:It's hard to justify spending a lot (over $1000) when I'll mainly be playing for myself.

I've seen a number of older tubas for sale lately. The latest I have been looking at are a couple of 1910 - 1920 JW Yorks. If you assume that these tubas are sound mechanically, are there other problems such intonation that limit the usefulness of one of these old horns?
$1,000 is a lot of money to spend in order to play a few more notes on the high-end... especially if you are just playing for yourself. The old Yorks you are speaking of are not generally famous for their intonation. I have a 1913-1916 (depending of which chart you are looking at) York Eb upright with three front valves that I just took in on trade. I also have Conn & Cuesnon Eb's currently in the stable. Email me privately if you are interested.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

Chuck(G) wrote:... the only way to tell is to play before you pay.

This is the basic reason for this post. I see a real cost to "play before you pay". The availability of cheaper Eb tubas seems to be that they are spread all over the country. In order to try a horn out, I would either have to travel to where the tuba is or pay for the shipping maybe both ways. This is quite expensive for a cheap(er) tuba. These things might in fact double the price.

What helps is to know basic tendencies of certain models and ages. Thanks for the info about pitch and variablilty in intonation.
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb

Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Normal wrote: What helps is to know basic tendencies of certain models and ages. Thanks for the info about pitch and variablilty in intonation.
I'd be tempted to stay away from the large "monster" Eb instruments--they're generally priced higher than the smaller horns and, as a rule, tend to have intonation issues. They do, however make a great soiurce of parts.

Some smaller antique instruments are real gems--the Henry Distins, for example. The older small Yorks can be pretty good, as can the small Kings.

Some prefer the sound of a Miraphone 183, which can be found from time to time.

Don't overlook the older Besson Eb horns either.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Chuck(G) wrote:
Normal wrote: I'd be tempted to stay away from the large "monster" Eb instruments--they're generally priced higher than the smaller horns and, as a rule, tend to have intonation issues.

Some prefer the sound of a Miraphone 183, which can be found from time to time.
Good statement, Chuck. I have both King Eb and York Eb monstors and have also owned big Conns and a HUGE Olds. None compare to my Miraphone 183-4 for intonation. However, if you want big and noisy (as I DO when I play Dixie) the King bell-front (or a sousa) is the way to go. I also have a little Cuesnon Eb that has great intonation but won't work at all in anything larger than a quintet.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Normal
bugler
bugler

Post by Normal »

Thanks for the information guys. You've help me understand some of what I have been looking at.
Norm Miller

King 2341S BBb