Buescher helicon

The bulk of the musical talk
Sally Larsen
bugler
bugler

Buescher helicon

Post by Sally Larsen »

Can anyone tell me what a Buescher helicon is worth? It is serial no. 55xxx,which makes it date to about 1910, (if the serial numbers are the same as the Buescher saxes) It is a four valve, and the engraving on it says "The Buescher" and "Tru-tone".
How does the value of this horn compare to a King 3-valve sousaphone,assuming they're in similar condition?
Thanks,
Sally (the lurker) Larsen
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Buescher helicon

Post by Chuck(G) »

Sally Larsen wrote:Can anyone tell me what a Buescher helicon is worth? It is serial no. 55xxx,which makes it date to about 1910, (if the serial numbers are the same as the Buescher saxes) It is a four valve, and the engraving on it says "The Buescher" and "Tru-tone".
How does the value of this horn compare to a King 3-valve sousaphone,assuming they're in similar condition?
Quite a bit depends on the key of the instrument (Eb or BBb). In general 4-valve BBb helicons command a premium over 3-valve models; and BBb is somewhat more desirable than Eb.

King sousies are fairly common, but theý also have a reputation for being very good players.
Sally Larsen
bugler
bugler

Buescher helicon

Post by Sally Larsen »

Both horns are Bb. There was some talk of trading the King for the Buescher, with cash added. The question is, of course, how much cash?
Sally (clueless)Larsen
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Buescher helicon

Post by Chuck(G) »

Sally Larsen wrote:Both horns are Bb. There was some talk of trading the King for the Buescher, with cash added. The question is, of course, how much cash?
So much depends on the condition, but a 4-valve Buescher BBb helicon in good condition at a guess should be worth about $500-750 more than a King 3-valve sousaphone in like condition--at least to someone who is interested in playing a helicon--and assuming that both play well.

This, mind you is just a ballpark seat-of-the-pants estimate. In fact, the price differential will be whatever the two parties agree upon.
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Is it worthwhile?

Post by imperialbari »

I am a strong proponent of 4 valve sousaphones, for seated playing that is.

I have two of them, both Conns. The 28K in Eb and the 40K in BBb. I also have the 26K 3 valve Eb.

The 4 valve Conns appear to have something extra into their sonority, which I ascribe to the weight and to the added rigidity in the structure.

I don't have any Bueschers in my 60++ piece collection, but what I would like to say as my personal experience of owning brasses of up to about 100 years of age is this:

the brand is important, but the actual state of the instrument, especially of the slide or the valves, is more important

that state cannot be evaluated by the looks alone. The York Master BBb seen on my group signature photo looks like a carefully elaborated disaster on the side turned towards me, but it is an excellent player with a flexibility not achieved by the 40K, which after all is my BBb favourite because of its non-obtrusive projection. Not that the YM is obtrusive, but it doesn't have that special extra of the 40K. Again I guess that the immense weight of the 40K is a factor.

Buescher is not to be considered a bad brand, and helicons certainly can be good instruments. But have you tried the actual one? Does it make you Sallyvate? If it doesn't, don't waste one single $ on it!

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark (who has a lot of Larsens in his closest family)
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMaste ... III/files/
(Membership is open for all)
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

I've got a Buescher helicon, an Eb that had a fourth valve added by Steve Dillon. It's my dixieland/polka horn, and she's paid for herself several times over. As far as "worth" goes... my helicon would be worth jack to most tuba players. Hard to put a dollar figure on it's appeal, since I'm the only one who wants it! If I had based my buying decision solely on the helicon's resale value, I would never have bought it.