Vincent Vanni

The bulk of the musical talk
IOS
bugler
bugler

Vincent Vanni

Post by IOS »

Does anyone know the dates when Vincent Vanni played tuba with the New York Philharmonic?
Stephen Shoop
bugler
bugler

Re: Vincent Vanni

Post by Stephen Shoop »

Vanni followed Fred Geib in the NYPO--- beginning in 1928 or 1929. I do not know when his tenure ended. Ev Gilmore told me Vanni played in the Dallas Symphony. I assume he came to Dallas sometime after leaving New York, but I'm not certain.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I'm pretty sure Mr. Vanni was the NY Phil tubist after Geib and right before Bell.
Years ago (10+) someone had a low brass roster posted online of major US symphony orchestras from over the decades. Can't find it anymore. Best guess is that Vanni was with the NY Phil from 1929 -ish to around 1943.

Pic of Mr. Vanni:

http://www.art.com/products/p13884238-s ... d=15032837&" target="_blank" target="_blank
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote:' overall design is not terribly different from B&S "Symphonie" and subsequent PT-derivations.

Is the tuba Czech?
I noticed the braces are kind of similar to the ones on my horns.

Check out the valves, too. I don't think I've ever seen perpendicular rotors on a tuba before. Cool photo!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

That's it. Thanks for finding it and posting. The info on there is not 100% accurate though...
Kyle Turner was interim principal tuba in the NY Phil 2001 - 2004 ... after Deck and before Baer. Credit should be given where due.

That Vanni tuba photo is pretty interesting. Have no idea what brand tuba it is. Obviously some type of German/Czech F tuba. :|
Toad Away
bugler
bugler

Post by Toad Away »

Thanks for posting.
Great stuff!
In the mid '60s I was in the Dallas high school
all-city orchestra called the Dal-Hi Symphony and we
performed once with the Dallas Symphony doing
'Finlandia'. Mr. Vanni was getting along in years, played
everything on "F" and
was an awesome tubist. :tuba:

"There were giants in those days".
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

tooba wrote:
tuben wrote: That Vanni tuba photo is pretty interesting. Have no idea what brand tuba it is. Obviously some type of German/Czech F tuba. :|
It is a Cerveny. It belongs to the Dallas Symphony and it is sitting in my house.
Matt Good
Principal Tuba
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

I came across this article from 1926 that mentions Vanni....in a dance band playing a sousaphone. And luckily there is a photo as well! Scroll down and you'll find the photo and article in the middle of the page: Allister Wylie's Orchestra advertising King instruments.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/mtr/MTR-19 ... 3-5-37.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

bloke wrote:' overall design is not terribly different from B&S "Symphonie" and subsequent PT-derivations.

Is the tuba Czech?

Lost your glasses again?

The inner tubing is very much differently wrapped. And you know that wrap from owning a Cerveny oval Kaiserbariton. I am not sure of the spelling, but the turned-90° rotors have direct action push-rods sitting below the spatulas, and that design was unique for the Cerveny de Luxe series discontinued in 1930.

Klaus
tusabtuba
bugler
bugler

Post by tusabtuba »

Vincenzo Vanni replaced Fred Geib. He was Toscanini's chef/cook, and according to Herb Wekselblatt, who studied with Geib, Geib said, "I saw Vanni sitting in Toscanini's box, and knew I was gone." Vanni played in Dallas following Bell's joining the NY Phil. Ev Gilmore and I auditioned for the Dallas Symphony in about 1964 or '65. Vanni was there, and by that time a frail old man. Ev was playing in Wichita (I think) and got the job.

John M. Taylor
Bowerybum
bugler
bugler

Post by Bowerybum »

came across this in the NYP digital archives tonight. Enjoy.

http://archives.nyphil.org/index.php/se ... c270e47b0e" target="_blank" target="_blank
"When the legend becomes fact, print
the legend."