homegrown piston repair

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I once considered sleeving a piston with thin-walled stainless steel tubing but put the idea aside when I couldn't locate 'just the right size' tubing. It just seems like everything that one can think of to try ends up being little more that just a 'tinker' experiment and always ends up costing more that conventional plating. There are some casting compounds that might be useful in replacing an entire piston. If you really want to tinker with something, get some of the new space-age casting compounds and just use your casing as a mold to make a new piston. Pieces of vinyl tubing could be used to simulate the piston ports and the casing could just be filled with casing material. When the material is cured, simply press the new casting out in the direction of the keyway. I haven't got time to mess with it. If you take it on please post your results here.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

TubaTinker wrote:I once considered sleeving a piston with thin-walled stainless steel tubing but put the idea aside when I couldn't locate 'just the right size' tubing. .
Didn't/doesn't Amati build their cheap piston valves that way? Seems that I remember seeing a 3v Amati BBb with sleeved valves. Didn't help much, though--the valves still didn't seal worth beans.