Review of the Meinl Weston 2155R CC Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Review of the Meinl Weston 2155R CC Tuba

Post by toobagrowl »

LCTuba89 wrote:
The horn was donated to the band by a former tuba player in the group back in 1999, he also played in our local orchestra. He is very old now so he can't really play tuba anymore. Even though this horn has intonation issues, I can play it just fine without any problems, but I do need to get a bigger mouthpiece for it. Why they didn't sell is probably because the donor is highly respected. There have only been 2 other tuba players in our group that have attempted to play it, both went back to BBb by the next rehearsal. So far I'm am the only one who has played it for a long period of time, going on 2 years in November actually. I can understand why people wouldn't like it because of the intonation issues, but the famous Alexander or Yorkbrunner tubas have intonation issues too and look how wonderful they sound. This beauty has a HUGE sound, and because of that, the intonation issue easily manageable. :)
+1
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

tooba wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:
talleyrand wrote:I'm astounded there is a community band out there with a tuba like that, *in storage* no less!
Considering that it is in CC and the intonation, the "in storage" part does not surprise me one bit. Mine had the fifth valve jammed down and was played as a BBb before it was "rescued." Given the 3rd partial problems as a CC tuba, I can only imagine what the pitch on one of these would be like played as a pseudo BBb.
I can think of many, many tubas with equally "bad" or even worse intonation than the 2155R. And I have played mine as a "pseudo BBb" and have posted about it here. I cut off an inch from the 5th valve slide to bring it up to pitch as a BBb. There is still 2.5" - 3" of pull on the 5th slide. All open partials as a BBb tuba were smack-on; no flat 3rd partial. But the Eb's were SHARP. :shock: The low 2+3 Db was a little sharp too. If I could somehow get a longer first valve slide (2+ inches longer) and a longer 3rd valve slide, it could be played quite well in tune as a pseudo BBb :!:
When I first played the horn, I had played it like a BBb tuba with the 5th valve. Eventually I wanted to learn how to play this tuba in it's intended key because I find learning new horns fun. I usually end up using the 5th valve in simple Eb to Bb march passages, but it also comes in handy on Stars and Stripes Forever on the 1st string with the quick bass line and I use the 5th valve to play like a BBb tuba there because let's be frank, that part is much easier on a BBb tuba. :P
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by cle_tuba »

Congratulations on your instrument!
If it sounds like a MW Tuono I'm sure that is a wonderful instrument!
I imagine that my tube came from an innovative idea of ​​2155R ...
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist
cle_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by cle_tuba »

Hi guys!
I have a friend selling a 2155R! He doesn't know what the fair value for the tuba would be! How much should he sell it for!?
thank you very much
Cleverson Zavatto
Tubist