York - BBb Sousaphones; PIC's added

The bulk of the musical talk
Tundratubast
3 valves
3 valves

York - BBb Sousaphones; PIC's added

Post by Tundratubast »

Edited original text; Added photos to the post, This is a monster, plays very well and had loads of fun during a recent dixie gig.

Does anybody have any information regarding the existance of this type of York beast, in the BBb catagory of course, and any info regarding the larger posibility of a "Monster" version of a York? I know that they are probably damn heavy.
:tuba:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... %20116xxx/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by Tundratubast on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tundratubast
1965 McMartin 4v BBb
2019 Eastman 4v Comp, EEb (In Transit)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: York - York Master BBb Sousaphones

Post by Rick Denney »

I'm not sure there were any YM sousaphones. I'm thinking that sousaphones with the York label were still made in Grand Rapids while their premium tubas were imported from B&M and given the YM label.

Others might remember more, but my recollection is that the Grand Rapids factory continued to make student-model instruments while more serious stuff came from Germany.

Rick "whose YM valveset would fit nicely on a sousa, however" Denney
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

The York Master engraving also was found on student model BBb tubas with the same wrap as the 0.750" bore BBb tubas. Only the the student models just had 3 valves and their bore was much smaller.

Klaus
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I can verify the existence of York Master sousaphones.
I own one, of the Eb persuasion.
It is a great sounding horn, that I picked up for $75 at a sidewalk sale!
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

The York- Master Model tubas and sousaphones were definitely made by Boehm & Meinl, and they are potentially fine instruments. As far as I know, the largest York- Master tubas and sousas were essentially 4/4 sized instruments.

I understand that all Grand Rapids production ceased by sometime in 1940. Before that, York in the USA made several sousaphones, including the monster BBb that I'll be marching with this Saturday. It sounds like a 6/4 concert tuba, and it is NOT lightweight . . . . .(!) Although it is not quite as massive as the Conn or King jumbos, it does have the original Big Valves and is plenty large.

The most unusual aspect of the Grand Rapids York sousas is the unique upper- and lower mouthpipe. With the above-mentioned instrument and another, York model 33-sized sousaphone that I'm finishing, the biggest hassle was fabricating a reproduction neck for these sousas. Instead of traditional bracing, they employ a sort-of brass dorsal fin for stiffness on both the upper and lower portions, and seem to play best with one bit.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Tundratubast
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tundratubast »

Update, I have just acquired the sousaphone in question. It is in fact a York Band Instrument Co, sousaphone, Satin silver w/ the typical gold wash bell. Serial Number 110xxx, meaning 1931-38, depending opon which list one referes. It has a 26" bell, .750 bore, 3v BBb; funky mouthpipe design, and the neatist spring loaded waterkeys on each of the valve casings. Heavy as h***, I'm thinking this is their Model 786 BBb, Big *** mouthpipe bore, every mpc I had fell in. Fortunately, the seller included a very nice mpc to go with it.
Tundratubast
1965 McMartin 4v BBb
Tundratubast
3 valves
3 valves

Re: York - BBb Sousaphones; PIC's added

Post by Tundratubast »

Bump w/ Pics.
Tundratubast
1965 McMartin 4v BBb
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Cool horns!
Tundratubast
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tundratubast »

Thanks Bob, They are definitely lots of fun, Pretty much covers everything I need, when I complete the EEb 5v Buescher, I Need to make some more socket flanges and adjust a couple of slides, but, it should complete a very functional arsenal.
Tundratubast
1965 McMartin 4v BBb
tubatech
lurker
lurker

Post by tubatech »

i think i have a couple of those
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Bob Kolada wrote:Image

Cool horns!
That's a nice looking silver 20J there.
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

This past summer I completed work on a customer's two York Band Instrument Co. Jumbo sousaphones (big project), one made in 1934 the other 1936. One required fabrication of the complete 2nd valve piston assembly and top cap, Along with complete reproduction gooseneck assemblies (from scratch) for each of the pair. Very nice instruments.

The owner was quite happy with the overall quality and playability of the pair.

D.C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works