Trumcor mute for a PT-6 CC tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Trumcor mute for a PT-6 CC tuba?

Post by AHynds »

Hello, one and all!

I'm looking to buy a straight mute for my PT-6, and I am curious to know if anyone has experience with the Trumcor Standard Tuba Mute. I'm specifically talking about this mute:

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-6104-trumc ... ium-c.aspx

I am going to go ahead and assume I'd want the "Large CC" size; on the Trumcor website, they say that the Large size is for 5/4 and 6/4 horns.

Thanks, and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron H.
bentuba7
bugler
bugler

Re: Trumcor mute for a PT-6 CC tuba?

Post by bentuba7 »

I have used trumcor mutes. I like the sound more than aluminum mutes, but the paper fiber build is not durable. I personally recommend a Balu. They aren't too expensive, and you get more than you pay for. They are very versatile, and very small movements in the bell can create completely different sounds. They're also pretty damn cool lookin' :lol:
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I used the large cc trumcor mute with pt6. I use it now with my Neptune and it works great. I agree that the construction of it makes it less durable, but if you take good care of it you should have no problems. I especially like the tuning cylinder. Gives a wide variety of sound options.
tubamuphone
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamuphone »

Another recommendation for the deluxe tunable Trumcor mute. I have one for my Alexander 163 CC and it is the best mute I've ever used on that instrument. Pitch and response are great.

JB
Travelman
bugler
bugler

Post by Travelman »

I know someone who has one for sale (he is no longer playing). It worked great for him on a 6/4 tuba.

Send me an IM if you are interested.
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

Here's to re-opening really old posts, but does anyone know what size Balu or Trumcor mute I'd need for an Alex 163 BBb? I'm not in a position to go and try some for fit.

Cheers,

Ola