Technique

The bulk of the musical talk
Chris Horsch
bugler
bugler

Technique

Post by Chris Horsch »

The archives don't seem to be as easy to search as they used to be, and I'm sure the answer to my question is there. What do you call the technique of playing and humming/singing at the same time? The VonWeber horn concertino uses it and I think some of the Kraft works for tuba.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

Multiphonics.
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

This Is Known As.....

Post by tubapress »

Multiphonics. William Kraft's Encounters II is, correct me if I'm wrong, the first instance of this technique in a tuba solo work. Fun to do! Fascinate your friends! On a non-tuba-related note, if you want to hear some REALLY funky sounds check out some Tuvan Throat Singing. Makes multiphonics seem easy!
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
wooliteeuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by wooliteeuph »

If you want to play a really neat piece with multiphonics, there is an arrangement of paul mccartney's "the Blackbird" . There is about a page and a half of you playing a duet with yourself. Its for unaccompanied tuba but I've played it on my euph several times and I just love it and the response from the audience with prove to be pretty positive as well.
Willie Brandon III
Euphonium/Trombone
NAVY BAND SOUTHWEST, San Diego

"I have an idea. An idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about" - Family Guy
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

One of the best examples I've heard of multiphonics is by Øystein Baadsvik on his newest CD, "Tuba Carnival". His original piece entitled, "Fnugg" (Fnugg is a Norwegian word describing something very small like a snowflake). He uses his own invention of 'lip beat' on this piece. He performed this at ITEC a couple of years ago in Greensboro, NC and got a standing ovation. He actually sings lyrics while buzzing.

Fnugg sound file
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

TubaNewsRose wrote:I second the vote for Blackbird - doing it as an encore on an upcoming recital! Everybody loves it that's heard it so far.

I'm unfamiliar with this arrangement -- but am interested in seeing the part. Would you mind providing details -- arranger, pulisher, & anything else you can add. Difficulty level?

Thanks
Last edited by JB on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JB »

TubaNewsRose wrote:I don't have the arranger info on the version I have, someone else will have to fill us in on that...
Searched the archives and came up with this much.
Blackbird for solo tuba - Lennon McCartney/Lars Holmgaard

And, to add to this (with the kind assitance of John Griffiths...):
Lars Holmgaard of the Danish Radio Orchestra
The publisher is Danish Brass.