Helleberg questions

The bulk of the musical talk
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Helleberg questions

Post by Donn »

iiipopes wrote:The newer Conn Hellebergs I have tried at my local music store are almost identical at @1.26 cup id, same rim, and differing only in depth of the funnel cup.
This is a new one for me - several new Helleberg models, about the width of a 7B? Seems like a good idea.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Helleberg questions

Post by Rick Denney »

ppalan wrote:I have a Helleberg 7B which doesn't seem to work well for me but I also have a Kellyberg which, although I don't like it a lot, works better than the 7B on both my Yamaha 321 Eb and my Miraphone 186 CC. I've been told that the Kellybergs are like the Helleberg 120 but on the Kelly site they say their stainless Kellyberg is "their own design". So, here's my question...What is the difference between the Helleberg 7B and the 120 (eg as sold at Dillon's)? :?
Pete
ps I tried a search but got a gajillion hits about Hellebergs after reading a bunch, I wasn't finding an answer.
Just to reinforce the two actual answers you got, the Helleberg 120 and the Kellyberg are similar in size (though they may differ a bit in other ways), and the 7B is smaller. To give context to Doug's answer, his R cup is what I would call "traditional standard size", while his T cup is "large". The P cup is "smaller". Thus, the 120 is "traditional standard size" while the 7B is "smaller". The Kellyberg is also "traditional standard size". The PT-50 mentioned by someone else is "large".

As I've grown older, I've come to prefer mouthpieces with a bit more of a cup shape, particularly those that descend from the Geib design.

Rick "who has Doug's mouthpieces in both an R cup and a T cup" Denney