Tuba mouthpiece comparisons by Stephen Wick

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Tuba mouthpiece comparisons by Stephen Wick

Post by imperialbari »

This comparisons’ table was asked for in another recent thread found a source for it:

http://dansr.com/files/wickfiles/TubaMo ... enWick.pdf

Klaus
euphomate
bugler
bugler

Re: Tuba mouthpiece comparisons by Stephen Wick

Post by euphomate »

Well done Klaus. This contribution by Stephen Wick seemed to disappear off the net some time ago. It is more informative than the company brochure. I suspect that Conn Selmer had it removed after their takeover of Denis Wick. I fully concur with his comments on the 3L as it relates to an EEb tuba.
Besson BE982 Sovereign EEb tuba
Wessex Champion EEb tuba
Stencil compensating euphonium
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Not so sure about the comparisons vs. the 2L, though. Granted that he's probably just calling the EZ-Tone "legendary" for humorous effect, but the other similar mouthpiece is a Bach 18? And what does this mean: "Conn Helleberg 7B (the 'Lucky Guy')"?

Interesting information about the 2SL and 3SL.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

euphomate wrote:I suspect that Conn Selmer had it removed after their takeover of Denis Wick.
Just curious - when did that takeover happen? There is nothing on the Denis Wick website to indicate it is part of Conn Selmer and a web search found nothing about a connection
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Donn wrote:Not so sure about the comparisons vs. the 2L, though. Granted that he's probably just calling the EZ-Tone "legendary" for humorous effect, but the other similar mouthpiece is a Bach 18? And what does this mean: "Conn Helleberg 7B (the 'Lucky Guy')"?

Interesting information about the 2SL and 3SL.
I think he's just talking about the cup inner diameters of the different mouthpieces, since the playing characteristics are often so different from the Wicks he's comparing them to.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Much there I hadn't seen before, including the information on the 2.5CC. Thank you, Klaus! :D
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

My experience with the 1 was not necessarily strong chops, but strong lungs. The deep funnel into the wide throat really take a lot of air.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
euphomate
bugler
bugler

Post by euphomate »

Neptune wrote:
euphomate wrote:I suspect that Conn Selmer had it removed after their takeover of Denis Wick.
Just curious - when did that takeover happen? There is nothing on the Denis Wick website to indicate it is part of Conn Selmer and a web search found nothing about a connection
Sorry for the slow response, I've been offline for two weeks. Some months ago, WWBW suddenly made Wick mouthpieces and other accessories unavailable to clients not resident in the US (like me). I enquired as to this sudden action and was told that Denis Wick was now part of the Conn-Selmer conglomoration, and as such CS would not permit the shipping of their products out of the US to countries where they have an established retail network. This is the only source of information that I have. Yamaha and Jupiter have applied the same policy for quite a while. Mouthpiece Express actually had Wick mouthpieces listed as Conn-Selmer products for a time, but I now notice that the CS tag has been removed, and it's back to plain Denis Wick. Whether or not ME ship DW products out of the US I'm not sure, but WWBW still don't, giving the same reason as before.
Besson BE982 Sovereign EEb tuba
Wessex Champion EEb tuba
Stencil compensating euphonium
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

http://accessories.conn-selmer.com/pdf/ ... sories.pdf

presents Denis Wick boosters and mouthpieces on pages ##27, 28, and 29.

Klaus
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Meh. I FINALLY noticed the dates involved here. Sorry.
Last edited by GC on Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone