The bulk of the musical talk
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Help to a beguiner

Post by Anterux »

Hi all!

I am portuguese. I live in Azores.
In my island there are no tuba teachers.
But I like to play tuba very much, and I am trying to improve my sound, flexebility, etc. I ask questions and try to work with a trompet teacher, but I fear it's not quite the same.

This forum has many things that is helping me to improve. Great forum.

But I also need some tips more basic. if possible please help me...

I've played some tubas. all BBb. Meinl Weston 25, several beguiner Amati, Cerveny, Yamaha 201, Infinity (!), now I'm playing a Jupiter 582 and it's a good tuba for me.

I play in a wind band, a jazz big band, and in a brass quintet.
we are all amateurs. but loving to play.

I have some different questions since my first post:

When I buzz only with mouthpiece I cant get the same range as with the tuba. expecialy in low range. is that normal? if not can you give me some tips to correct it?

I find some medium register notes more difficult to obtain with good sound then lower or upper register, and I think this is strange. does this mean I could have "lip vibration" problems?

thank you
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Help to a beguiner

Post by Mudman »

Anterux wrote:Hi all!

When I buzz only with mouthpiece I cant get the same range as with the tuba. expecialy in low range. is that normal? if not can you give me some tips to correct it?
At first it is difficult to play the lowest notes on the mouthpiece alone. The reason you aren't able to hit these notes is because the mouthpiece isn't giving you as much resistance as the tuba does. Blowing against resistance helps your lips vibrate more freely in the low register. When you get stronger, you will be able to play down there with less resistance. There are a couple of things you can do to help develop that register:

1. Cover the end of the mouthpiece partway with a finger.

or (my favorite thing)

2. Make a "Buzzing Resistance Tube" Get some clear plastic tubing that fits snugly over the shank of your mouthpiece. Most hardware stores have this kind of tubing. The tube should be abour 7 to 8 inches long. Drill a 1/8 inch hole in the plastic tubing a little bit past where the end of the mouthpiece shank fits in the tube. The hole lets you buzz any note without getting locked into a single harmonic series.

This tube will feel close to playing a tuba. This is a great practice tool you can use in your car (just don't pass out from breathing too deeply!)

3. A third way of adding resistance to the mouthpiece is to make a fist. Try and create a big open space inside your fist while still keeping the fingers more-or-less sealed around the edges. Stick the mouthpiece into your fist (between thumb and 1st finger). Buzz into the "air chamber."

My written description may be a bit confusing?

When buzzing, try to approach the mouthpiece the same way you play the tuba--in other words--keep the rim on the same part of your lips when you buzz or play. Also keep the angle (up/down) of the mouthpiece the same.

Some people say that it is important to buzz actual pitches that are in tune. (You are programming your brain with sounds, so you might as well program your brain correctly.) I don't think buzzing a precicse pitch is a very big deal all of the time, but it does help to buzz a line of an etude now and then when you are practicing.

Good luck.
Anterux
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Anterux »

indeed, creating resistence with a finger covering parcialy the hole lets me buzz lower notes. now I will try to find a 8 inch (20 cm?) plastic tube.

thanks for the tips.